Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyFico giving wrong score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MyFico giving wrong score?

My credit score as of Jan 6 was 637. It has gone up from 608 from last June. My Transunion score has not been below 600 in AT LEAST 6 months. So, imagine my surprise when I sit down with a loan officer about getting prequalified for a mortgage today and he tells me that my Transunion score is 587!!!!!!! And nothing else has changed...no credit cards or late payments or anything that would cause such a drastic drop.

Has anyone else experienced this? I just don't understand why. We're not talking about a few points difference. It's huge.

And I didn't get prequalified because of this. I feel like I can't trust the scores that I get from MyFico anymore...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tischer712
Regular Contributor

Re: MyFico giving wrong score?

More than likely if you see a scoring difference between FICO scores it is because they used different models. myFIco uses Tu04 If i am not mistaken, they might have pulled Tu08. Different scoring models give different scores.

Starting Score: myFico Scores Equifax 544 Transunion 585
Current Score: myFico Scores Equifax 655 Transunion 663 Experian 645
Goal Score: 700 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Tischer712 wrote:

More than likely if you see a scoring difference between FICO scores it is because they used different models. myFIco uses Tu04 If i am not mistaken, they might have pulled Tu08. Different scoring models give different scores.

Actually myFICO sells the older TU98 version and the lender probably used the newer TU04. But the only way to know for sure what the lender pulled is to ask them.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 9
Tischer712
Regular Contributor

Ah! Thanks for the correction. After I wrote it I was looking around to make sure I wrote it right. I had a feeling it was 98 and 04! But that would be my guess on the difference of scores.

Starting Score: myFico Scores Equifax 544 Transunion 585
Current Score: myFico Scores Equifax 655 Transunion 663 Experian 645
Goal Score: 700 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all so confusing! Smiley Frustrated But thank you for attempting to help me understand. It was just heartbreaking to go into a bank thinking that my score was high enough...only to leave realizing that my score was so much lower than what I thought. We've worked so hard to stay on time, pay off old medical collections etc. Sometimes it feels like it's all for nothing.

Message 5 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This is all so confusing! Smiley Frustrated But thank you for attempting to help me understand. It was just heartbreaking to go into a bank thinking that my score was high enough...only to leave realizing that my score was so much lower than what I thought. We've worked so hard to stay on time, pay off old medical collections etc. Sometimes it feels like it's all for nothing.

Welcome to the forums.

Yes it can be very confusing at first but research and study and education are all key to understanding. I know I was not aware of the many different "scores" out there just a few short years ago. If you stick around you'll get the hang of it I'm sure. Here is some more information about "credit scores":

(With all due credit to long time member llecs for this):

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do they even bother with scores.

Just look at the REPORT itself. If othing derogatory in whatever amount of time, then give the credit. If so, deny it. Seems simple enough rather than these greatly varied scoring processes that come up with pretty large differences even looking at the SAME information. Way too much chance for variation. If I pay my bills on time, I pay my bills on time.

Message 7 of 9
1gr8deal
Valued Member

I agree 100%

Message 8 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do they even bother with scores.

Just look at the REPORT itself. If othing derogatory in whatever amount of time, then give the credit. If so, deny it. Seems simple enough rather than these greatly varied scoring processes that come up with pretty large differences even looking at the SAME information. Way too much chance for variation. If I pay my bills on time, I pay my bills on time.

Sort of like an insurance company labeling you a smoker because you take one cigar puff for fun at the new years party?

I dunno. I was helping someone a while back getting her first FICO score report. She had a five year old 30 day late (exciting to see that flag, never had one of my own!), but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what kept her from being in the 800s. No, it was likely because her many balances were all zero.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.