Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious Score Change

tag
Contable
New Visitor

Mysterious Score Change

My score recently dropped from 27 points with no apparent reason.  There have been no inquiries, no new credit, no balance increases.  I have paid off two cards within the last month but kept the accounts open.  Does anyone have an idea why?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mysterious Score Change

did you dispute anything?
Message 2 of 12
cobra19
Valued Contributor

All things being equal and with no changes - sounds like you've been bucketed.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Contable, welcome to the forum! Smiley Happy

One possible reason for the inexplicable score drop could be a change in scoring catagories. We call them buckets here. It's when you "graduate" into a group of similar people with fewer/more baddies.

EG: any baddies might have aged you into a different group with the same like/kinds of baddies; a collection might have aged, overall utilization has moved you into a different group, etc, etc, etc. It's one of the more difficult concepts for me to grasp, but it exists.

Have you compared all 3 credit reports, by putting them side by side and going down the page, line item, by line item?

That is but one possible explanation.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eeppppp! I take 4 paragraphs to say what cobra says in 5 words. Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Just a kick in the bucket!
Message 6 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

GETNUMBERSUP wrote:
did you dispute anything?

Good question!
Message 7 of 12
Contable
New Visitor

I have not disputed anything.  I recently paid off a card that was active and had no late payments.  To my knowledge I have not been late on any other bills.

Message 8 of 12
Madison
Regular Contributor

Simular thing happened to me last month. I don't understand this bucketing thing. To me, the bucketing deal is not ethical. It is just another roadblock put up by the Credit Reporting Agencies and the CC companies.
Message 9 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Madison wrote:
Simular thing happened to me last month. I don't understand this bucketing thing. To me, the bucketing deal is not ethical. It is just another roadblock put up by the Credit Reporting Agencies and the CC companies.

In the long run the buckets help people increase their score if they continue to keep the CR clean
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.