cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative item removed but score dropped ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Negative item removed but score dropped ?

Hi, just a quick question. I had a negative entry removed from my TU report, which was deleted without any issue. Instead of going up, my score dropped slightly in direct response (the next day actually). What's up with that? Is there anything I can do about that? Call TU? Would love input and suggestions. Thanks!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Negative item removed but score dropped ?

Your score would not drop due to a negative item coming off.  If your score dropped, it was from something else.  Do you have other negative items on your report?  If so, taking 1 off can have next to no impact.  On my profile with two negative accounts, having one of them removed gained me exactly 1 point.  Getting rid of the other gave me 40 points; the max score increase from baddie removal comes when the final baddie comes off.

How much did your score drop?  Where are you getting your score from?

You could have gained a point or two from the baddie coming off, but at the same time lost points for something else completely (like a utilization change) that resulted still in a net loss.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does the rest of your report look like? What was the negative item? Was the entire tradeline removed? What else has happened in the last couple of weeks?

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Your score would not drop due to a negative item coming off.  If your score dropped, it was from something else.  Do you have other negative items on your report?  If so, taking 1 off can have next to no impact.  On my profile with two negative accounts, having one of them removed gained me exactly 1 point.  Getting rid of the other gave me 40 points; the max score increase from baddie removal comes when the final baddie comes off.

How much did your score drop?  Where are you getting your score from?

You could have gained a point or two from the baddie coming off, but at the same time lost points for something else completely (like a utilization change) that resulted still in a net loss.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Actually you can lose points for a negative deletion if you are rebucketed.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Actually you can lose points for a negative deletion if you are rebucketed.

While that's possible, it's extremely rare.  If it is someone's final baddie, naturally they will be rebucketed from a dirty to a clean file but the point increase is usually substantial with such an event going from dirty to clean.

If there are multiple baddies, removing one more often than not isn't going to change the dirty bucket that you're in. 

As a result, the chances of rebucketing aren't very high in either situation.  Sure it can happen, but I'd venture to guess this isn't the case with the OP.  Hopefully they will be able to provide some more info.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.