Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not using debt at all but I want to increase my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not using debt at all but I want to increase my score

I have two cards I don't use much.  I keep for work travel only.  Since I don't use much will my CS go up with time? Only other debt is a student loan and car loan.  How can I increase my score?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Not using debt at all but I want to increase my score

IUGal wrote:
I have two cards I don't use much.  I keep for work travel only.  Since I don't use much will my CS go up with time? Only other debt is a student loan and car loan.  How can I increase my score?

Do you know all three of your FICO scores? You have some variety of accounts and this is good for your credit mix. Any late payments or other bad stuff on your reports? Using your CCs is a good thing and it might boost your scores some. Can you list your CC's credit limits, balances and when you opened them? 
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi IUGAL. welcome to the forum.

A great way to boost your score is to use your cc's. BUT...keep the utilization(your cc balance divided by your credit limit) in the 1%-10% range. That's the ideal range the CRA's(credit reporting agencies) like to see, because it shows you are using your cc's responsibility.

Also, it's been said that the minimum "ideal" number of cc's you have is 3 or 4. That's just a rule of thumb, but reasonable.

Also, NEVER, EVER, EVER be late on a payment. Just one late baddie on your CR(credit report) drops your score as much as 50 points. Never go over your credit limit either. That's a major no no with the CRA's as well.

And finally, come here, come here often, and read the comments of others. This forum is filled with a wealth of information, with very knowledgable people to answer any question you may have regarding the credit world.
Message 3 of 4
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Use your cards every month even if only for stuff you would pay by check. TV, phones insurance things like that. Worst case is you get an extra month float off the CCCs back.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.