cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Transunion Score Drop, No Alert. What Gives?

tag
Repairman
Established Contributor

Odd Transunion Score Drop, No Alert. What Gives?

I track my fico scoring through Myfico's subscription, and a few days ago, my Transunion Score, which lags seriouisly behind the others, went up by 8pts after I received an alert that approximately $5000 of debt that had been paid, finally updated on TU.

The odd thing, however, is the very next day, my score DROPPED by 8 points, but absolutely no reason was given. I still have not received any alert on the drop regarding the reason, which is extremely odd. This has never happened before. There has never been a change to my score in the positive or negative without Myfico telling me why. What gives? This is particularly disturbing, since it took away the exact 8 points it had given me the day before.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odd Transunion Score Drop, No Alert. What Gives?

@Repairman wrote:

There has never been a change to my score in the positive or negative without Myfico telling me why.

MF has never told you why your score changes.  Your understanding of the alert system isn't correct.  You receive an alert whenever an alertable change happens to your credit report.  At the same time, MF provides you with a fresh score.  Any score change seen does not have to have anything to do with the alert reason.  There are tons of non-alertable changes that can happen to a credit file that result in score changes.  Many times the non-alertable changes that happen between alerts received are what impact your score changes. 

You aren't alone BTW in your misunderstanding of how the MF alert system / score changes works and I might recommend voicing your opinion on it in this thread linked below.  I started the thread a long time ago as you can see since we see members day after day on this forum confused and mislead by how it currently works.  It really doesn't have to (and shouldn't) be this way.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/myFICO-Product-Feedback/Alerts-unrelated-to-provided-score-changes/...

Message 2 of 4
Repairman
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Repairman wrote:

There has never been a change to my score in the positive or negative without Myfico telling me why.

MF has never told you why your score changes.  Your understanding of the alert system isn't correct.  You receive an alert whenever an alertable change happens to your credit report.  At the same time, MF provides you with a fresh score.  Any score change seen does not have to have anything to do with the alert reason.  There are tons of non-alertable changes that can happen to a credit file that result in score changes.  Many times the non-alertable changes that happen between alerts received are what impact your score changes. 

You aren't alone BTW in your misunderstanding of how the MF alert system / score changes works and I might recommend voicing your opinion on it in this thread linked below.  I started the thread a long time ago as you can see since we see members day after day on this forum confused and mislead by how it currently works.  It really doesn't have to (and shouldn't) be this way.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/myFICO-Product-Feedback/Alerts-unrelated-to-provided-score-changes/td-p/5537890/highlight/false

That's very interesting and useful info. Still, however, every time my score has ever risen, it has been accompanied by an alert that makes sense in the positive (like your total cc balance has gone down by $5000),  and every other time my score has gone down it has been accompanied with an alert making sense in the negative (like a serious delinquency has been added to your account). This is the only time a change has ever happened and no alert accompanied it, and I check it every day, multiple times a day, so you can understand why that would be confusing.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Absolutely, all the more reason to voice your frustration in the product feedback section linked above.  We see multiple people every day on this forum that are confused or mislead by this problem.  That's multiple people every day for literally years.

The biggest takeaway that needs to be understood for everyone is that an alert is simply for a credit report change, not a score change.  The second biggest takeaway is that not all credit report changes are alertable.

A few examples of unalertable credit report changes are aging metrics increasing on the 1st of the month, inquiries becoming unscoreable after 365 days, negative items dropping off, accounts dropping off, etc.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.