cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over 100% utilization how much does it hurt score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over 100% utilization how much does it hurt score?

If you have student loans or any loans for that matter if they owe more than originally disbursed, how much does that hurt your score? Any bump for getting them under 100%? Thanks for any replies

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Over 100% utilization how much does it hurt score?

A good bit you are going to want to get under 60% first then under 50% then under 30%, if you can stay under 30 ideally under 10% that is GREAT but since it is loan and not revolving the faster you pay it off the better so if you have interest you dont pay to much based off your high utl

Message 2 of 18
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

A good bit you are going to want to get under 60% first then under 50% then under 30%, if you can stay under 30 ideally under 10% that is GREAT but since it is loan and not revolving the faster you pay it off the better so if you have interest you dont pay to much based off your high utl

I disagree, loan utilization is a small aspect of your credit score that most of the time it doesn't matter much. And generally a score effect is only observed when the total loan utilization is under 9%.

Always finances > FICO.

I have yet to see posts about the thresholds you list (i.e. 60%, 50%, 30%) in regards to INSTALLMENT loans, can you please provide a reference post for these values?

Message 3 of 18
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I guess those are more in reference to adding to a profile rather than Damaging the score?!    I guess I should have asked if OP is intending to add anything or apply for anything in the near future with it being that high?!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

It doesn't matter if they are over. Once it's at that point you maxed out any penalty. Also, you won't get back any points until you've paid off a significant percentage of your loans.

Most people ask this in an attempt to focus on it to raise your score. Since it's a student loan, you'd instead see more of a point gain from focusing on other areas imo, such as credit card utilization or just letting your accounts age. 

It's not uncommon to be over 100% especially on IDR with forgiveness. I wouldn't worry about it. 🙂

Message 5 of 18
donkort
Valued Contributor

My student loans are over 100% utlization----but my car loan is about 33% utilization, since I paid off two-thirds of the loan.  So my overall installment-loan utilization is 64%.  I have $65,000 in student loans.  If I were to pay off $4,000, I would get about a 30-point score bump.  I believe this is because paying off the $4,000 would bring my utilization down below 100%.

As for revolving credit, there's thresholds at 88.9%, 68.9%, 48.9%, 28.9% (a biggie), and 8.9% (the biggest of the biggies).  There's also a smaller one at 5.9%, I believe (though that hasn't been documented).

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 6 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@donkort wrote:

My student loans are over 100% utlization----but my car loan is about 33% utilization, since I paid off two-thirds of the loan.  So my overall installment-loan utilization is 64%.  I have $65,000 in student loans.  If I were to pay off $4,000, I would get about a 30-point score bump.  I believe this is because paying off the $4,000 would bring my utilization down below 100%.

As for revolving credit, there's thresholds at 88.9%, 68.9%, 48.9%, 28.9% (a biggie), and 8.9% (the biggest of the biggies).  There's also a smaller one at 5.9%, I believe (though that hasn't been documented).

Sorry but I don't understand what  you just said. I think there's a typo in there somewhere.

Certainly, if  your aggregate installment utilization is 64%, against a total of original loans of $100k, your paying $4k -- going from  64% to 60% -- isn't going to give you a 30 point bump. More likely it wouldn't get you any points at all.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It doesn't matter if they are over. Once it's at that point you maxed out any penalty. Also, you won't get back any points until you've paid off a significant percentage of your loans.

Most people ask this in an attempt to focus on it to raise your score. Since it's a student loan, you'd instead see more of a point gain from focusing on other areas imo, such as credit card utilization or just letting your accounts age. 

It's not uncommon to be over 100% especially on IDR with forgiveness. I wouldn't worry about it. 🙂

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 18
donkort
Valued Contributor

According to the simulator, if I pay $4,000 on the student loan, my FICO 8 scores go up to the 820s-830s.  A 30-40 point increase.

I'm theorizing if this is the result of the utilization for this particular item going below 100%.  It's about 120% now.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 9 of 18
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't necessarily trust the accuracy of the simulator. Generally, loan utilization is not a major factor in your score. New accounts, revolving utilization, inquiries, derogatory accounts, length of credit, etc. all have much higher impact. Most people dont see an impact for loan ut% until it gets ~8%.

However, if loan ut% is the only negative factor impacting your score - which I'm assuming based on the simulator saying you'll be in the 820s by paying 4k on your loans - it's entirely possible individual loan ut% could have a material impact for you.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.