cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying of Credit Cards Lowered My Score??

tag
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Paying of Credit Cards Lowered My Score??

@DoroLucky wrote:
That's it? Keep in mind the fico scoring model grades you on debt owed. So if you don't owe anything ($0 until) your score will drop. Next time leave a small balance on 1 card and you'll see the difference. Your score will bounce right back.

+1

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm in the same boat... I've been trying to work my score back up after a short sale in 2010 and just got hit hard by paying down balances. I have:

• Chase card for $29k with a $2k blanace
  • Capital One card for $10k with a $200 balance
  • Auto lease for a $57k vehicle with a $7k balance
  • Credit union line of credit for $10k with a $200 balance
  • 20 year credit history

I paid down my CapOne, credit line and auto lease to $0. As a result, my score dropped by 20 or so points across all reporting bureaus, WTH? Do I need to go pick up another installment line?

Message 12 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm in the same boat... I've been trying to work my score back up after a short sale in 2010 and just got hit hard by paying down balances. I have:

• 20 year credit history

I paid down my CapOne, credit line and auto lease to $0. As a result, my score dropped by 20 or so points across all reporting bureaus, WTH? Do I need to go pick up another installment line?

If you have one installment loan that's mostly paid down,  one credit card account that's below 9%, and your other credit card(s) down to zero, your scores will be optimized.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• 20 year credit history

If you have one installment loan that's mostly paid down,  one credit card account that's below 9%, and your other credit card(s) down to zero, your scores will be optimized.

It's an installment that's paid off. I'm not sure how less oustanding debt has led to an optomized score that is much lower.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing happened to me with a slightly  higher balance then yours.  It depends on your available credit. Below a certain reporting balance it amount it may reflect a 0% utilization. With 25,000 available credit you could carry a balance of up to $250 with only 1% utilization. Try carrying a higher balance of $50 to $250. Your score will bounce back once your above 0% utilization. I would not recommend going above 10% uti. I prefer to stay at 1% uti.

Message 15 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

• 20 year credit history

It's an installment that's paid off. I'm not sure how less oustanding debt has led to an optomized score that is much lower.

When an installment loan is paid off one's FICO score usually goes down.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 When an installment loan is paid off one's FICO score usually goes down. 

Same think happen to me a last year...

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.