Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payoff question

tag
joemomma
Established Member

Payoff question

Buying a house and getting my first mortgage (close 4/22). Once we're all closed up, my parents would like to pay off my car as a gift. I have about 3 years left and owe about 17k principal on a 28k loan. My current credit card utilization is <1% on 39k (6 cards). My Fico8 range is 818-828. No other active trade lines. 1 closed auto loan. no derogatories. 

I'm guessing i'll take a nice hit when the mortgage starts reporting, but generally speaking will I incur an additional fico hit for paying off the car? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Payoff question

@joemomma wrote:

Buying a house and getting my first mortgage (close 4/22). Once we're all closed up, my parents would like to pay off my car as a gift. I have about 3 years left and owe about 17k principal on a 28k loan. My current credit card utilization is <1% on 39k (6 cards). My Fico8 range is 818-828. No other active trade lines. 1 closed auto loan. no derogatories. 

I'm guessing i'll take a nice hit when the mortgage starts reporting, but generally speaking will I incur an additional fico hit for paying off the car? 

No you won't. You might even pick up some points for reducing your number of accounts with a balance and your total indebtedness.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
joemomma
Established Member

perfect. thanks. 

Message 3 of 9
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@joemomma wrote:

Just an FYI, your FICO 8 scores might not take any hit when the mortgage reports, last mortgage I got didn't change my scores a single point when it reported. 

On the other hand, my mortgage scores dropped 20-25 points 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems the higher your credit score before any changes to credit, the lesser impact it actually has. When I refinanced my mortgage last year, my Fico 8 scores dropped less than 10 points and then rebounded in the next 2-3 months. I am aware mortgage credit uses older Fico versions but being a subscriber to myfico.com I was able to see the affects on my Fico 8 scores before and after the new mortgage origination. Very little impact . However I did just payoff a car loan in February 2021 and will report back the affect of it when it updates on credit. You can see my current scores below.

Message 5 of 9
joemomma
Established Member

Thanks for the continued commentary! 

It will be interesting to watch. I think I'll be looking to add a couple of new cards as soon as I close so that's going to be an impact. Hopefully grab at least one long term 0% intro offer and then some sort of rewards. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joemomma wrote:

Thanks for the continued commentary! 

It will be interesting to watch. I think I'll be looking to add a couple of new cards as soon as I close so that's going to be an impact. Hopefully grab at least one long term 0% intro offer and then some sort of rewards. 

@joemomma that is the perfect time to acquire them if you need them!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Updates scores after paying off my car loan in February 2021 open with Toyota Financial Services for 3 years had an effect of 1-5 points lower per bureau for Fico 8 scores. Very little effect.

Message 8 of 9
E_Fizzy
Established Member

@Anonymous  Are you able to recall how the paid off car loan may have affected your mortgage scores?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.