Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positive Alerts = Lower Scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Positive Alerts = Lower Scores?

I'm a myFico member and have been taking steps to improve my scores.  I received alerts from Transunion that included (1)total balance decrease, (2)total collection balance decrease, (3)3 collections removed, (4)deliquency removed, and (5)decrease in acounts past due.  These were all received for the month of June.  I would think these were positive items.  I recieved my updated score today and my transunion score decreased by 10+ points and my fico 4 showed a drop of 43 points.  My equifax and experian scores showed increases of 15+ points.  Can anyone explain this?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Positive Alerts = Lower Scores?

I have had the same thing happen to me on more than one occasion. Sometimes I think the initial good news is such a shock that MF just drops scores but they always seem to bounce up the next month. At lteast that has been my experience

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Sandman.  This scoring system seems so complicated, I can never get a grasp on it.

Message 3 of 8
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, Sandman.  This scoring system seems so complicated, I can never get a grasp on it.

It is simply mind-boggling. If you want things to go up just head over to the garden grab a seedling and let stuff age. That is what I am doing these days. I may make an escape over the fence in November-ish depending on what I see out there  to grab. 

Message 4 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Do all of your cards have balances of zero? My gut says you might be suffering from the "all cards at zero" penalty.

Message 5 of 8
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Do all of your cards have balances of zero? My gut says you might be suffering from the "all cards at zero" penalty.

Always forget about that one;...sucha stupid stupid penalty. 

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a myFico member and have been taking steps to improve my scores.  I received alerts from Transunion that included (1)total balance decrease, (2)total collection balance decrease, (3)3 collections removed, (4)deliquency removed, and (5)decrease in acounts past due.  These were all received for the month of June.  I would think these were positive items.  I recieved my updated score today and my transunion score decreased by 10+ points and my fico 4 showed a drop of 43 points.  My equifax and experian scores showed increases of 15+ points.  Can anyone explain this?

You need to compare your before and after reports. Clearly, none of the 5 changes you mentioned caused any deceases to your scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I've gotten my card balances down, but not to zero.  Trying to get the utilization down under 9%

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.