Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about AAoA and removing older accounts

tag
DiamondDan73
Regular Contributor

Question about AAoA and removing older accounts

Good morning,

I had a quick question. I have several older accounts opened up in 2010-15 which were included in my bankruptcy. They are still showing up as negative accounts when I look at my reports with the comments included in BK.

My question is if I were to delete them would it actually increase my AAoA since I opened so many of them at the same time? I would keep the ones that are reporting positively. 

Started 11/2020 EQ 549 TU 580 EX 559
Currently 12/2020 EQ 541 TU 606 EX 576
2021 FICO Goal 680 on all 3
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Question about AAoA and removing older accounts

@DiamondDan73 wrote:

Good morning,

I had a quick question. I have several older accounts opened up in 2010-15 which were included in my bankruptcy. They are still showing up as negative accounts when I look at my reports with the comments included in BK.

My question is if I were to delete them would it actually increase my AAoA since I opened so many of them at the same time? I would keep the ones that are reporting positively. 

How would you delete them? Removal of accounts are based on close date not open date. When were the accounts closed?

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can do the calculation yourself by first adding the days since opened for all reporting accounts and dividing by the number of accounts.

Then remove one or more accounts, and repeat the calculation.

You then have the revised AAoA based upon any modeled scenario.

Alternately, a quick answer can be obtained by looking at your current AAoA, and then, for any account that has a current age less than that current average, its removal would increase your AAoA, while for any current account that has an age greater than your current AAoA, removal would reduce your AAoA. 

You dont get a numerical value of the new AAoA, but can see which ones to focus on......

Message 3 of 8
DiamondDan73
Regular Contributor

They were closed in 2015. They are reporting a few inaccuracies and in the past when I have disputed accounts over 5 years old, they deleted them vs trying to fix them because they no longer have the records. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

You can do the calculation yourself by first adding the days since opened for all reporting accounts and dividing by the number of accounts.

Then remove one or more accounts, and repeat the calculation.

You then have the revised AAoA based upon any modeled scenario.

Alternately, a quick answer can be obtained by looking at your current AAoA, and then, for any account that has a current age less than that current average, its removal would increase your AAoA, while for any current account that has an age greater than your current AAoA, removal would reduce your AAoA. 

You dont get a numerical value of the new AAoA, but can see which ones to focus on......

Very well said!! +100

OP, yeah what is your AAOA? And what's the open date of the accounts in question?

Message 5 of 8
DiamondDan73
Regular Contributor

My AAoA is 5.3 years. My oldest account is 14 years. These accounts (8-10) of them wer all opened 7-8 years ago. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clean file > AAoA

That being said, I would get rid of any dirty accounts if that was an option, even if it meant that eliminating them would drop my AAoA (or even AoOA).

Message 7 of 8
DiamondDan73
Regular Contributor

Got it

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.