Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the Experts: Inquiry score affects on different versions of FICO

tag
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Question for the Experts: Inquiry score affects on different versions of FICO

Hello to all, 

I love this forum, truly incredible insights. I am very curious and wanted to see if there is a real expert out here that would know if the different versions of Fico treat inquiries differently. For instance, the mortgage Fico for XP versus Fico8. Do they treat inquiries identically?

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
15 REPLIES 15
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Re: Question for the Experts: Inquiry score affects on different versions of FICO

Also curious if the 'window' to how many of the same type of inquiry are treated as 'one' inquiry varies among different score versions as well.
Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 2 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Question for the Experts: Inquiry score affects on different versions of FICO

Right from a FICO Blog concerning how injuries are looked at and how multiple inq's for loans are grouped.:

In general, inquiries have a small impact; typically, a single inquiry can lower a FICO® Score by less than five points.  The precise impact will vary based on each person’s unique credit history. Inquiries can have a greater impact if consumers have few accounts or a short credit history.Among the five data categories that make up the FICO® Score, inquiry characteristics fall into the “search for new credit” category, which accounts for only 10% of the score. Since inquiries only represent one type of characteristic in this category, they actually account for less than 10% of the score.

https://www.fico.com/blogs/skinny-ficor-scores-and-inquiries 

Message 3 of 16
Focker69
Regular Contributor

I appreciate that but was looking for more specific information if possible. I have firsthand seen inquiries impact a score by over 40 points. Just wondered if the formula for them varied among the scores as the technology and release dates were different. i.e The current mortgage fico score was implemented in 2004.
Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 4 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Happen to be a Vantage site which counts up to 8 then its hits harder afterwards and not FICO? Never heard of that. I'll call on @SouthJamaica who is more rehearsed.

Message 5 of 16
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Short answer:

It depends.

Yes, the impact of an inquiry on a score can vary depending upon the score type.  And one's profile/bucket.  And how recently other inquiries may have occurred.

A couple of INQs recently cost me, cumulatively, 7 FICO8 points.

The same two inquiries cost me 15 points on my FICO2 mortgage score (now 783), and about as much on my FICO2 auto score (789).

Bottom line: if you expect to need a home or auto loan in the coming year, avoid inquiries.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 6 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Happen to be a Vantage site which counts up to 8 then its hits harder afterwards and not FICO? Never heard of that. I'll call on @SouthJamaica who is more rehearsed.

IMHO the mortgage scores penalize more than FICO 8's for inquiries and other 'newness' factors.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

IMHO the mortgage scores penalize more than FICO 8's for inquiries and other 'newness' factors.

Which I find very odd due to the fact my mortgage 5/4/2 scores are, on average, 32 points higher than my FICO 8 scores.  As for my "newness" factors, in the last 18 months I've had 16 HPs and have opened 5 new accounts, 4 of which are still open.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 8 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Focker69 wrote:
I appreciate that but was looking for more specific information if possible. I have firsthand seen inquiries impact a score by over 40 points. Just wondered if the formula for them varied among the scores as the technology and release dates were different. i.e The current mortgage fico score was implemented in 2004.

Question is how many where there? 20-30. That would explain the 40 pts with a very thin file.

Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Which I find very odd due to the fact my mortgage 5/4/2 scores are, on average, 32 points higher than my FICO 8 scores.  As for my "newness" factors, in the last 18 months I've had 16 HPs and have opened 5 new accounts, 4 of which are still open.

There are many other factors which go into the score. The 'newness' factors are just one area.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.