Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question re: hard inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question re: hard inquiries

Does anyone have any idea of how much a hit on your credit score a hard inquiry from a secured CC takes? I know the points vary but thought maybe there's some range or average. This would be my only one this year. The last one I had was 1 in Sep of 2011 and prior to that there were 2 in 2010.

TIA!

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question re: hard inquiries

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone have any idea of how much a hit on your credit score a hard inquiry from a secured CC takes? I know the points vary but thought maybe there's some range or average. This would be my only one this year. The last one I had was 1 in Sep of 2011 and prior to that there were 2 in 2010.

TIA!

If it has any effect I would think it would be just a few points or so. It's definitely not something to be concerned about. And if you lost a couple of points they will probably return at 6-12 months.

Even though inquiries show on your reports for 2 years they only impact scoring for one year.

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TIA!

If it has any effect I would think it would be just a few points or so. It's definitely not something to be concerned about. And if you lost a couple of points they will probably return at 6-12 months.

Even though inquiries show on your reports for 2 years they only impact scoring for one year.

Thank you. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk since I'm trying to boost my score asap - enough to qualify for a FHA loan.

Message 3 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TIA!

Thank you. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk since I'm trying to boost my score asap - enough to qualify for a FHA loan.

Do your homework and decide what card works best for you right now and hopefully into the future. Don't apply for a card just "because". It's better to wait a bit longer and do it right.

You only have one inquiry possibly impacting your score right now so I would not be worried about another one or two. At some point if you want credit you have to bite the bullet and apply which means an inquiry.

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TIA!

Do your homework and decide what card works best for you right now and hopefully into the future. Don't apply for a card just "because". It's better to wait a bit longer and do it right.

You only have one inquiry possibly impacting your score right now so I would not be worried about another one or two. At some point if you want credit you have to bite the bullet and apply which means an inquiry.

Thank you!

The thing is I really don't "need" a CC per se. It just seems counterintuitive to get one to boost my credit score. And if I'm going to get one, I want to definitely make sure it meets my needs.

Does getting a higher CL really make that much of a difference on your score (assuming your utilization is low)?

Message 5 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!

The thing is I really don't "need" a CC per se. It just seems counterintuitive to get one to boost my credit score. And if I'm going to get one, I want to definitely make sure it meets my needs.

Does getting a higher CL really make that much of a difference on your score (assuming your utilization is low)?

FICO never scores what the CL's are. Only the utilization of whatever the CL happens to be. So FICO will score an account with a CL of $100 and a reported utilization of 10% the same as an account with a CL of $1,000 and a reported utilization of 10%.

Does that make sense?

Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!

FICO never scores what the CL's are. Only the utilization of whatever the CL happens to be. So FICO will score an account with a CL of $100 and a reported utilization of 10% the same as an account with a CL of $1,000 and a reported utilization of 10%.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely! So, I don't really need a CC with a CL if I plan on keeping the utilization between 1-9%, right?

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you!

Does that make sense?

Absolutely! So, I don't really need a CC with a CL if I plan on keeping the utilization between 1-9%, right?

And if I'm right, how does having a higher CL help you?

Message 8 of 31
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

And if I'm right, how does having a higher CL help you?

That's true and I've lost track of how many cards you have right now. There is an approach that many use to tweak their scores. Everyone's situation is different and there is no one size fits all approach to this but what seems to work well for most people is to have only one of their cards report a small (<9% of it's credit limit) balance each month and then pay in full before the due date. You can use it as much as you want during the month but what's important is the reported balance because for most cards whatever is reported on the monthly statement is what is used to calculate utilization for the month.

You might have to play around with the percentages for a few months to see what works best for you. Some people say that 1-3% utilization helps the most. For others it might be 5-9%. As I said it's not one size fits all.

On any other cards always try and have them report a zero balance each month. That doesn't mean you can't use them just make sure that the desired zero balance on these accounts is achieved several days before their statements post.

Along with individual and overall utilization, FICO also scores the number of all types of accounts reporting a balance.at any one time Making sure less than half of all your accounts report a balance helps most people.

Now this approach really isn't necessary if you're not looking to apply for any credit in the near future or unless you are trying to tweak your score for maximum effect but some folks do this as a hobby just to see how high they can get their score.

People have different reasons for trying to obtain and keep high CL's. For a few it comes down to bragging rights. "Look what I've got". For others they know they have the resources to make a large purchase at some point.

For me I look at having my total CL's pretty high as a buffer against possible future AA (Adverse Action such as a account closure, CLD (Credit Limit Decrease, etc.). A few years ago BoA closed my LOC which happened to be my highest CL because they said I "had enough credit". Whatever that means.  Smiley Happy Fortunately my other CL's were high enough and my balances low enough that losing this CL did not have a huge impact on my utilization and therefore my scores.

Message 9 of 31
marty56
Super Contributor

For my credit profile, I have seen from 0 and15 points on TU.  I don't remember what it was for EQ and EX is OBE.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.