Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Question

I have been checking credit karma every day and I got a most recent collection account deleted.   I called  Transunion today and they verified that there is no more AFNI account.  Why wouldn't Credit Karma update my score?

Where's the best place to get a TU score?  They tried to sell me the vantage score on the phone but I don't need that.

Thanks,

Boone

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question

@Booner72 wrote:

I have been checking credit karma every day and I got a most recent collection account deleted.   I called  Transunion today and they verified that there is no more AFNI account.  Why wouldn't Credit Karma update my score?

Where's the best place to get a TU score?  They tried to sell me the vantage score on the phone but I don't need that.

Thanks,

Boone

There might be other places I don't know about but AFAIK myFICO is the only place to buy a TU score at this time. Of course lenders have access to it.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

CreditKarma offers two TU-based FAKOs: VantageScore and TransRisk. Did both not change? FAKO is as FAKO does.

Glad you didn't buy the Vantage since it was free on CreditKarma anyway.

If a FICO score is important, then the only place you can get a TU FICO is on myFICO or from your lender as mentioned by MarineVietVet. If a FAKO is important, know that their formulas are totally different than FICO's. Your FAKO can go up and FICO down and vice-versa. You can even loose points by dropping a CA on a TransRisk score since CA's are factored into your history for that FAKO.

Message 3 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Thanks - so if I bought the TU report/score here at MYFICO it would be a FICO TRANSUNION SCORE?? 

I don't think this is going to make my score go down because it was a 2006 Qwest account that got reported 1/2010 and settled 11/2010, and AFNI continued to update to the CRA's every month this info, so it was unable to kind of - go away.....

Also, Nothing changed at Credit Karma, but my score went up 15 points here at Myfico on my Exp.

So confused.

Also freaking out that my threatening hippa letters will cause the collection agency and/or the OC to update info or re-age, etc etc.  All paid but one 2007 account for 42 bucks, which I'd pay but I don't want them to update.  Will be sending Pay for Delete letter, but also scared if they get that, they will again update.   Afraid to awake a sleeping smallish giant.

Sorry so many ?'s.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Booner72 wrote:

Thanks - so if I bought the TU report/score here at MYFICO it would be a FICO TRANSUNION SCORE?? Yes it's the TU98 version.

I don't think this is going to make my score go down because it was a 2006 Qwest account that got reported 1/2010 and settled 11/2010, and AFNI continued to update to the CRA's every month this info, so it was unable to kind of - go away.....

Also, Nothing changed at Credit Karma, but my score went up 15 points here at Myfico on my Exp.

So confused.

Also freaking out that my threatening hippa letters will cause the collection agency and/or the OC to update info or re-age, etc etc.  All paid but one 2007 account for 42 bucks, which I'd pay but I don't want them to update.  Will be sending Pay for Delete letter, but also scared if they get that, they will again update.   Afraid to awake a sleeping smallish giant.

Sorry so many ?'s.

Message 5 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

This is a good example of the huge differences between FICO scores and the various FAKO scores.

You have a CreditKarma that does not move but your EQ FICO made a substantial move.

My EQ FICO has not moved 3 points in 2 years and hasn't moved a single point in almost a year. My Trans Risk at CreditKarma has bounced around all over the place. Their Vantage score has steadily risen during that period.

I do realize that the EQ FICO is based upon EQ and CK is based upon TU but I have not added any accounts or had ANY info change in 2 years other than amounts and balances. My EQ and TU reports show identical accounts. I must wonder if the Vantage score was created to show lots of changes since the usual move is 1 point. Perhaps it was designed to make the consumer think their score is changing when they pay off a small amount of debt.

Message 6 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Thanks - so if I bought the TU report/score here at MYFICO it would be a FICO TRANSUNION SCORE?? 

So confused.

Sorry so many ?'s.

They can't re-age.  The account SOL is based on the DOFD, once that passes SOL they are SOL.  If they do re-age, you can dispute for past SOL and get them deleted.  Honestly, by best luck has come from getting original creditors to take the account out of colelction as a GW, and me paying in full.  HIPPA only works if you are committed, and willing to PIF.  

Message 7 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@p- wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

So confused.

Sorry so many ?'s.

They can't re-age.  The account SOL is based on the DOFD, once that passes SOL they are SOL.  If they do re-age, you can dispute for past SOL and get them deleted.  Honestly, by best luck has come from getting original creditors to take the account out of colelction as a GW, and me paying in full.  HIPPA only works if you are committed, and willing to PIF.  

There are a couple of websites that use the term "SOL" for the time something reports. Within myFICO forums, SOL refers to the statute of limitations or the time frame a creditor has to sue which can range from 3-15 years depending on the state you live in and the debt type. With regards to reporting, we use the term "CRTP" or the credit reporting time period which is 7-7.5 yrs from DOFD and is established per the FCRA. As mentioned, if something is past the 7-7.5 yr CRTP, the OC/CA [negative OC that is] is breaking the law and it can be disputed as being "re-aged". They can be sued too for lying about the DOFD.

Message 8 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

@p- wrote:

@Booner72 wrote:

So confused.

Sorry so many ?'s.

There are a couple of websites that use the term "SOL" for the time something reports. Within myFICO forums, SOL refers to the statute of limitations or the time frame a creditor has to sue which can range from 3-15 years depending on the state you live in and the debt type. With regards to reporting, we use the term "CRTP" or the credit reporting time period which is 7-7.5 yrs from DOFD and is established per the FCRA. As mentioned, if something is past the 7-7.5 yr CRTP, the OC/CA [negative OC that is] is breaking the law and it can be disputed as being "re-aged". They can be sued too for lying about the DOFD.

Thanks, I will use CRTP instead of SOL from now on.  But I likes SOL because it reminded me the CA is S- out of luck. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.