Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions. TransUnion Score.

tag
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

Questions. TransUnion Score.

I got my score through the free annual credit report, and it switched me over to Transunion and I paid The $8 to get my score. Their scores are based on 501-990? I have a 798, which seems nice. Now I'm more curious to know my fico, but I already pulled the free report without the score from Experian 6 months ago. And planned on doing the last pull with Equifax in a few months. What is the best way to monitor my score. Someone said there may be a big difference between the 3, but the last time I got all 3 scores they were within 30 points of each other. I have been re-building my credit and was so happy to see my score this high. Any insights? Are my other scores probably close to this. What have your experiences been? Thanks in advanced. My one CC, which I planned on not really using anymore, has even raised my limit by $1200 that I was un aware of. It was a fairly big jump, so I am guessing my score is greatly improving if something like that is happening.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Questions. TransUnion Score.

Hi Navigator, welcome to the forums. Please read Credit Scoring 101. You have purchased FAKOs (likely Vantage) and few (and I mean very few) lenders use these scores. The majority of lenders use FICO scores, which can only be purchased here at myfico.com. So, to monitor your credit reports, True Credit and some of the others are great. To monitor your scores, myfico is the place for it.

What many do, is watch for changes on their reports from TC et al, and then pull their FICOs. Whenever pulling your FICOs, make sure you google discount codes to save yourself a few bucks.

In summary, forget those scores that you got. The only scores that matter to lenders are the ones they use (and thus should be the only ones that matter to you)--FICOs.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

That's what's confusing me. I keep reading about the three scores etc. So I don't understand it completely. What is the best package to buy so I can get all my Fico scores, and that won't affect my credit score in any way? And does anyone have experience with the score system I got my score on? If so what is the difference between that score and the other fico scores you had? The last time I got all 3 scores they were within 30 points of one another give or take...

I have $0 Balances. 3 CCs. What is my next step, what would be recommended for me? 2 of the 3 CCS are store cards and not regular ccs I can use anywhere. Should I try for another regular cc or what would you suggest. I keep getting offers obviously now they are more eager to get me since I am debt free. Any insight is appreciated. I am looking to get a newer car within the next few months so I am basically trying to maintain good credit and make the best choices now that I have gotten everything straightened out.

Message 3 of 21
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

Also, say I get a friend to run my credit again and get all 3 scores like last year. It was a permissable purpose? How does that affect my score. He said it doesn't affect it and is a soft hit. What would you suggest? Am I better off with myfico package or would I be better off just having him run my credit at his car dealership and save a few bucks. Obviously since I already wasted $8 it seems on something that is skeptical in a way.
Message 4 of 21
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Nav, I hope that you read the link that I provided in post #2. That will tell you the difference between FICO and FAKO. The scores that you bought, again, were FAKOs and mean very little to anyone, except the organizations that sold them to you.

I am by no means an expert on which package to buy, as there are merits to each. Many like the Suze package and Credit Complete. You'll have to be the judge as to which one suits your needs best, or if your friend can get you true FICOs (not auto enhanced) and not get in any trouble for it, then that's even better for you.

Message 5 of 21
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

Yes, I read the link you posted and understand where you are coming from. My main complaint is, I am sure others have gone through this and then had to find out their "REAL" fico scores after an incident like this. What I was wondering was, how can Transunion have the real fico, then sell this garbage other scoring system and score? It's frustrating, because it's confusing and doesn't make much sense in that regard. I understand, I guess I just want the real deal and to get the three accurate fico scores. Through this website I can get that, just have to see what next step to take.
Message 6 of 21
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

The CRAs realize that more people are becoming "credit conscious", so here is an opportunity to profit from it. There is nothing wrong with that (it is America, after all). And yes, many come here complaining about the same thing as you are doing.

The good heads up is whenever you see them marketing a "credit score" as opposed to a FICO score (they can't legally call it a FICO), you can just about call it a FAKO.

Think about the commercials "I'm thinking of a number...it's 720 and it happens to be my CREDIT SCORE." Or "F-R-E-E that spells free credit report dot com baby." FAKO, FAKO. You can come up with another dozen or so commercials that tout their FAKO scores, hoping that unsuspecting Americans will purchase the scores and they make a profit.

Misleading? Probably. Illegal? No.

Message 7 of 21
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

Yeah I get it. Now I just don't know what choice is best for me. What monitoring I should do to see what my real scores are, and what my next move should be, where I wouldn't be affecting my score too much. Guess I need to start posting in other forums on here now. Thanks Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 21
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

theNavigator wrote:
Yeah I get it. Now I just don't know what choice is best for me. What monitoring I should do to see what my real scores are, and what my next move should be, where I wouldn't be affecting my score too much. Guess I need to start posting in other forums on here now. Thanks Smiley Happy

There is no monitoring system for all 3 FICO scores together. You could pull all 3 though through this site. It doesn't monitor but will give you a new score and report each time you pull. This is via FICO Standard.

Now doing the above will be costly (around $45 for each pull for the 3). However, there are discount codes out there; just google them. I recommend subscribing to a credit monitoring service like TrueCredit. Ignore the scores (FAKOs), but as you see changes in your report, then pull the corresponding CR from here to see your real score change.

Message 9 of 21
theNavigator
Regular Contributor

SO let me get this straight? There are 9 scores in total? 3 from each Transunion, Equifax, Experian? Or is it just the three. I may be better off getting my friend to do it, regardless. He got me the 3 the last time, and my credit has only gotten better. Besides that I am truly just looking to do some minor work, such as get another regular cc and then an auto loan.
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.