Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REALLY CONFUSED!

tag
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

REALLY CONFUSED!

So a few months back I opened a credit builder loan with a local CU where my friend works at, I remember her telling me that my FICO score was in the mid 500s at the time which I thought was weird because on here it was low 600s I guess I just ignored it and thought maybe she had been mistaken when she said think use a FICO score. Anyways she told me at anytime I could call her and she will SP my score and see where I am at. So I call her today and she tells me my score is 565! WTH its 631 on here so I don't get it! Why the score difference!?!?!?!? and she told me its because of my child support which is news to me because I thought child support/family obligations were not factored into your score. Does FICO08 factor it now? or am I missing something

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: REALLY CONFUSED!

Are you pulling tbe same credit reports?

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 8
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Are you pulling tbe same credit reports?

Yep! We went over it line by line and the child support is what is causing the scoring issue

edit: So I went thru my EQ online just now and one thing I noticed is that its no longer being reported under the installment tab but under "other"

Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

So a few months back I opened a credit builder loan with a local CU where my friend works at, I remember her telling me that my FICO score was in the mid 500s at the time which I thought was weird because on here it was low 600s I guess I just ignored it and thought maybe she had been mistaken when she said think use a FICO score. Anyways she told me at anytime I could call her and she will SP my score and see where I am at. So I call her today and she tells me my score is 565! WTH its 631 on here so I don't get it! Why the score difference!?!?!?!? and she told me its because of my child support which is news to me because I thought child support/family obligations were not factored into your score. Does FICO08 factor it now? or am I missing something

There is NO version of FICO that includes child support in scoring.

Period.

Message 4 of 8
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

There is NO version of FICO that includes child support in scoring.

Period.

Then WTH, I guess whenever I apply next to somebody who pulls EQ I will pay attention and see what happens.

Message 5 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Are you current in that obligation?

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 6 of 8
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

@bettercreditguy1 wrote:

Are you current in that obligation?

Yeah and been current for 3 years now its taken directly out of my paycheck but FDOR refuses to update until I pay down the balance to $0 so I am SOL because the whole amount on my credit report is from retroactive child support

Message 7 of 8
whatamess
Valued Member

I'm confused too! Now there is some great info on these forums, but I've paid off two installment accounts in the same month and kept my revolving accounts to a minimum. My EQ score dropped 5 points. Keep debt low, and keep CC utilization low?? Im doing that! Now mind u, My score went up 13 points with medical collections reported recently on my EQ credit report, but when I pay  accounts off or down my score drops... Incredible. I think the folks who do the score keeping are the kids who ring your doorbell then run and hide. I'm going to keep fighting tho, because I know there is something I'm probably missing. TU 701, EQ dropped from 632 to 627.

Handle ya bidness, It pays!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.