Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduced score with reduced balance and utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reduced score with reduced balance and utilization

I've been working really hard to rebuild my credit after taking FMLA a few years back to take care of my terminally ill Mom.  Subsequently was late on mortgages and car loans and myself ended up with medical bills going into collection for myself.

Finally all my version 8's are over 600 and able to get low limit credit cards which I am repaying on time and keeping utilization low and no mortgage lates for nearly 2 years. 

So I checked my score today and see that Experion went from 645 down to 591 and when I looked at the reason it was due to an ontime payment to a credit card that reduced utlization to under 50%. 

Thats the crap I don't understand and infuriates me.  That is a HUGE jump for making an ontime payment and lowering utilization. 

Can someone explain this to me (oh and BTW, version 2 score hardly changes ever and in thsi case didn't change at all

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Reduced score with reduced balance and utilization

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been working really hard to rebuild my credit after taking FMLA a few years back to take care of my terminally ill Mom.  Subsequently was late on mortgages and car loans and myself ended up with medical bills going into collection for myself.

Finally all my version 8's are over 600 and able to get low limit credit cards which I am repaying on time and keeping utilization low and no mortgage lates for nearly 2 years. 

So I checked my score today and see that Experion went from 645 down to 591 and when I looked at the reason it was due to an ontime payment to a credit card that reduced utlization to under 50%. 

Thats the crap I don't understand and infuriates me.  That is a HUGE jump for making an ontime payment and lowering utilization. 

Can someone explain this to me (oh and BTW, version 2 score hardly changes ever and in thsi case didn't change at all

Seems old creditors, mostly medical seem to hide in the woodwork and see if you improving scores, and then starting reporting monthly again, or have sold off the debt now that wasn't reported and now is. 

I would get a report to compare last month versus your latest bureau report and compare the 2. 

Some type of derog has hit, but best to check all 3 bureaus. 

These type of alerts don't show up something like an inquiry or balance change on an account, will reflect there is something other than paying down your balance. 

Message 2 of 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Reduced score with reduced balance and utilization

Unfortunately the alerts aren't really tied to the score change: there are certain updates that trigger a score update, but there's a bunch of unfortunately important things from a FICO scoring perspective which don't trigger a score update, and so it just all gets lump summed together... so something possibly major like a negative tradeline updating or even a tradeline's being deleted or disputed, doesn't trigger an update and surprise, a paydown gets a loss.

I've seen wierd things in the monitoring over the years, most notably with Experian unfortunately where I'll lose points and be scratching my head, but that's usually on the 5-10 range, not 50: I'd definitely be comparing two reports carefully trying to figure it out.  

        
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.