cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing myself as an authorized user... how will this affect my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Removing myself as an authorized user... how will this affect my score?

Okay so long story short I am a moron. I am currently an authorized user on a CC belonging to someone I dated. He and I are no longer together. He is paying the miminum balance every month with no late charges. I have great credit at the moment but this needs to be done.

I understand how to remove myself (bank says to just call them). But im curious how this will affect my credit score.

There is a high balance on the card. If they remove me - does the high balance when removed show up as something negative on my report? Like as in... collections or something? Im aware it will affect my age of credit and my utility ratio. Im just worried since theres a balance on it (which he is paying off no issue) that itll come back to bite me somehow. He is keeping the account open.

TLDR; I feel weird removing myself as an authorized user while theres still a balance. Just trying to make sure I didnt miss anything.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Removing myself as an authorized user... how will this affect my score?

There is nothing weird about it, the fact that it has a high balance and he is only making minimum on it, is the reason you want to get yourself off it, what's weird is that you are still an AU after breakup hehe, of course unless some of the balance belong to you.

List the age, balance and CL on the AU card, as well as all your other CC accounts, we should be able to give an idea on how it will affect your score/profile.

Message 2 of 5
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Removing yourself from a card with a high balance is a plus for your credit score. Even if the other factors put a dent in your score for awhile, you should get yourself removed. Better in the long run.

Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Welcome to the forums!  As an authorized user, you have zero responsibility for any charges or balances on those cards.  When you are removed from the cards, they should just entirely disappear from your credit reports.

Message 4 of 5
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I did some research before adding a friend as an AU on a couple of my cards to help rebuild her credit (it worked). I was told that she'd keep the history of the card and her AAoA wouldn't go down if I remove her from it. I guess it would be like the account was closed for her. Is this true? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.