Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rental car inquiries

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rental car inquiries

ChrisGA43 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but isnt the issue here whether or not the creditor, or rental agency in this case, has to 'notify' the consumer when they intend to pull a CR? When I opened my checking account I was told by the bank rep. that it would occur, and whenever I have rented a car in the past with my debit card the rental agent has always told me up front that it would occur. I was under the impression that there is a disclosure requirement involved anytime an entity is required to pull a CR on someone(hard or soft). Even my auto insurance agent informed me of this ahead of time. 5 points could be the difference between a good interest rate, or an even better one sans the 5 point drop.

There is no such requirement that a consumer be notified.  If a creditor or insurance agent notifies you before they pull an inquiry for which they have PP, they are doing so as a courtesy, not because they are required to.

Message 21 of 23
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

For those who have any lingering doubts on the true legal edification of the FCRA that Cheddar has been pounding into our heads, the FCRA clearly permits a credit pull for any consumer initiated transaction without consumer prior approval.  If  you enter into any business transaction, such as an auto rental, or perchance even the purchase of a book through Amazon, then the "Cheddar provision" is clear:

FCRA § 604. Permissible purposes of consumer reports [15 U.S.C. § 1681b]

(a) In general. Subject to subsection (c), any consumer reporting agency may furnish a

consumer report under the following circumstances and no other:

…….

(F) otherwise has a legitimate business need for the information

(i) in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the

consumer; or

(ii) to review an account to determine whether the consumer continues to

meet the terms of the account.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 07-04-2008 12:34 AM
Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG wrote:
For those who have any lingering doubts on the true legal edification of the FCRA that Cheddar has been pounding into our heads,

LOL! My apologies if it comes across that way.

There are some things I am passionate about, many of my own opinions included! Smiley Very Happy
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.