cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revolving vs installment

tag
becker152

Revolving vs installment

I have read everyone's excellent advice on keeping revolving debt at 1-9% of total credit line or less, but have a question.

Are line of credits considered revolving debt?  i have a line of credit back by my good credit score, it is not a term loan, but just an open line where 2% is due each month.

Would this be considered revolving and count against me?

Thank you
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Revolving vs installment

depends on how they report it. if it reports as revolving and it over 10 and between 30% utilization you are taking a bit of a score hit, if it's 50-100% you are taking a major (50-100 points, so i've been told) score hit. if it's reporting as an installment account, the it's not hitting the scores nearly as hard.
Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very very good question! I've seen HELOC report as revolving but the balance was treated as installment. Now HELOC and Personal LOC can be very different credit titles.

To answer your question, I believe(not sure) HELOC bal is installment. No idea about personal LOC.

Does anyone know how a personal LOC is treated?
Does anyone know if a personal LOC is Consumer Finance?
Message 3 of 36
fused
Moderator Emeritus

In most cases HELOC and other lines of credit are reported as revolving, and in this situation they will factor in with all of your other revolving accounts such as CC's. Home equity loans are installments and if reporting this way, will not factor in revolving util% calculations.
Message 4 of 36
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:
Very very good question! I've seen HELOC report as revolving but the balance was treated as installment. Now HELOC and Personal LOC can be very different credit titles.

To answer your question, I believe(not sure) HELOC bal is installment. No idea about personal LOC.

Does anyone know how a personal LOC is treated?
Does anyone know if a personal LOC is Consumer Finance?

Personal LOC are usually revolving just like HELOC. LOC = Consumer Finance Loan, I say NO!
Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Smiley Happy I've seen LOC advertised from Citibank as 60 installments. They determine the payment to be 60 months from each initial draw. Wonder how this works. Maybe I should apply?
Message 6 of 36
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Pizza, are you still apping? You need a referral to the sleigh center!Smiley Very Happy
Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only stopped apping for credit cards and installments. lol Smiley Happy Always looking for something new and different. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 36
hdporter
Regular Contributor

My sense is that scoring of LOC's can be a gray area.

With respect to HELOC's, my recollection from a FICO article of a couple of years ago is that the outstanding balance determines how the line is scored. For a low to moderate balance (say $2K - $20K) the loan will be treated as revolving debt. For a high balance (say $50K+) the loan will be treated as installment. It was written that the dividing line was unwritten -- I'd speculate it's either due to something FICO didn't want to put a fine line on, or perhaps a distinction that varies depending upon other credit profile factors.

In general, other unsecured lines of credit will be reported as revolving debt. But I've seen with other accounts (notably, "no preset limit" credit cards) that specifics of how the CRA reports the account can impact whether the account is considered when total revolving utilization is evaluated.

What I'll note is that my wife's GE LOC and my Citi Flex LOC are classified on True Credit reports in the section with our HELOC, suggesting the possibility they might be scored along a roughly similar logic to the HELOC (although different balance thresholds might apply).

Message 9 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

becker152 wrote:

Are line of credits considered revolving debt?  i have a line of credit back by my good credit score, it is not a term loan, but just an open line where 2% is due each month.
Would this be considered revolving and count against me?

I have a $50K HELOC with $3000 showing as being used ($2000 now, but not yet posted.) When I look on screen 4 of the myFICO reports ("credit at a glance" ), it has the $3000 included as a mortgage on TU and EQ, but as revolving on EX. EQ posted the entire amount as highest balance, even though I've never pulled the whole thing.
  • EQ does not factor it into my util at all (shows as 2%.)
  • TU seems to factor it into my util (showing as (3%.)
  • EX doens't say nice things on myFICO, so no info there.
Isn't that fun? Here's how it shows on all three (I've bolded the differences among them):

EQ: Date opened [?] Sep, 2007
Date of last activity [?] Sep, 2007
Largest past balance [?] $50,000
Credit Type [?] Revolving
Account holder [?] Individual
Scheduled payment amount [?] $0
Descriptions [?]
  • Home equity
  • Line of credit

EX:

Date opened [?] Sep, 2007
Date of last activity [?] Sep, 2007
Account number [?] XXXXXXXX
Account type [?] Credit Line Secured, Revolving
Credit limit [?] $50,000
Largest past balance [?] $3,056
Credit Type [?] Revolving
Account holder [?] Individual

TU (sorry, it wants to double-space):

Date opened [?] Sep, 2007

Account number [?] 8524

Account type [?] Home Equity Loan

Credit limit [?] $50,000

Largest past balance [?] $3,056

Credit Type [?] Overdraft/Reserve Checking Account

Account holder [?] Individual Account

Feel free to join me in bafflement. They seem to title it however they want, and they don't treat it the way they title it.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.