Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Dropped 10 points! Need help!

tag
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Score Dropped 10 points! Need help!

Hello Everyone..

I received a updated that my experian fico score dropped 10 points last month.

When I look to see what changed. It states that I'm not using my credit. I am letting a small balance 

report Every month.. 1,000 on my neiman macrcus card (12,000). Also 66 on my target card (2,600)

I'm really confused as to what I'm doing wrong. Is it because they're both store cards? Should I allow a small balance to report from 

from one of my major credit cards? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance

Experian Fico 640 ( 12 inqs) was apartment hunting!

Transunion Fico 704( 7 inqs)

Equifax Fico 734(5 inqs)

6% utilization on all cards  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Score Dropped 10 points! Need help!

Hello. 10 points is not too crazy of a drop. But the first thing that comes to mind is possibly your utilization, if nothing else changed? Did your overall total balance carried over increase at all in that period of time? Having store cards should not effect what your score is. It is the overall credit mixture and how you are using your cards.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like your store cards are being ignored when it comes to revolving credit use.  It's always a best practice and commonly advised on this forum to have at least one major store card report a balance to ensure revolving credit use is viewed, unless you know for certain that a certain store card of yours "counts," which at this point you do not.

Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It sounds like your store cards are being ignored when it comes to revolving credit use.  It's always a best practice and commonly advised on this forum to have at least one major store card report a balance to ensure revolving credit use is viewed, unless you know for certain that a certain store card of yours "counts," which at this point you do not.

Great point BBS!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Thank you. This makes so much sense. I'll let a small balance report on one of my major CC next month and see how that affects my score! Thanks everyone!
Message 5 of 6
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

I feel your frustration! My EX scores keep dropping and I have no idea why. My UTI keeps going down, and INQ are aging off, accounts are aging, I have no missed payments... Seriously have no idea why.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.