Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Dropped 15 Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Dropped 15 Points

Got a myFICO notification today that my TU score dropped 15 points! This is because I had my wife request me to be removed as an AU on one of her newer tradelines. Here are the notifications;

-All Bankcard account(s) credit limit decreased

-The total balance on all your Bankcard account(s) has decreased $4959. This change applies to the sum of all Bankcard balances.

So what does not make sense to me is this... The CL is $5000, so near CL. Also, the age of the account is 1yr, 2mo, which was dragging down my AAoA and considered a new account. So to me, these were all items that I believed, once I was removed would help boost my score up, not down. Removing this also lowered my credit utilization percentage, but dropped my open bankcards from 11 to 10.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score Dropped 15 Points

On TU with the "Your FICO score changed" alerts you get reason codes; would suggest looking at and posting the before and after ones as on the surface it sounds a bit strange.

        
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

On TU with the "Your FICO score changed" alerts you get reason codes; would suggest looking at and posting the before and after ones as on the surface it sounds a bit strange.

Where are these reason codes? When I click the alert, it brings me to the list of alerts. Expanding the "Your FICO score changed" reveals no "reason codes." There are "Score Factors," but no items there have changed, at least for the worst (paid down some cards). If those codes are the two items I posted above, that was the only other alerts.

Also, there was a random charge-off that appeared on my report when I had my last 3B, which has been removed, on CreditKarma at least, no notification on myFICO. Something just seems off with this change.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alerts and score changes are often unrelated.  I believe that the common misconception that they are always related is again the case here.

The removal of an account from your credit report that was maxed out and younger than your AAoA would not drop your score 15 points.  In fact, it would more than likely raise your score unless all of your other revolving accounts are maxed out as well.

What was your aggregate utilization before this account was removed and what is it now?  You'd probably stand to gain 10-15 points just from getting rid of one maxed out account and that's not considering aggregate utilization at all yet, which is King to individual card utilization.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My total utilization rate on 01/13/2018 reported on my 3B for TU was 78%. My current total utilization rate today reported by Credit Karma is 80%. Which they reported that dropped, and I have not used any cards so not sure why there is a difference between the two. On CreditKarma, my score also dropped by 19 (I know their scores are entertainment), and reason was for amount of open accounts, which they are reporting 18 currently.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that score just jumped up 16 points today, must of been a fluke or something.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

...my score also dropped by 19 (I know their scores are entertainment), and reason was for amount of open accounts, which they are reporting 18 currently...

Amount of open accounts is not a factor that impacts scores.  Amount of accounts with balances can and of course utilization percentages can change due to the addition or removal of accounts, but the raw number of accounts does not matter.  Someone can have 20 open accounts and someone else can have 120 open accounts and that difference of 100 won't matter as a scoring factor.  You're probably referring to the "fluff" software that CK uses to provide you with a range where 10-15 accounts is "yellow/fair" and 16-20 accounts is "green/good" or something similar.  It's important to understand that this fluff software does not necessarily have anything to do with the score you're getting.  As you said, though, it's a BS VS 3.0 score.

Message 7 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP do you have baddies reporting? If so, then day to day changes in score are more random than otherwise. 

I will speculate that removing an AU account with no baddies somehow confused the algorithm for a day, perhaps raising the proportion of accounts with negatives. then decided it wasn’t too significant with the high utilization. It is also possible another non-alert item occurred next to offset the first change. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.