Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score Dropped Because Closed Account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Score Dropped Because Closed Account?

I guess I still don't understand the process. Why would my score go down when I didn't do anything different?

I am trying to buy a house, this isn't helping.

Got a notice that my score had dropped 7 points, supposedly because of "heavy use of revolving credit".

Except, I didn't have any heavy use and in fact have been continuing to pay down balances.

The only thing I did do was close an account I no longer use, one that was in good standing.

Here is what FICO shows:

ELAN FINANCIAL SERVICES
(XXXXXXXXXXXXxx97)
Account opened: 12/2010
Description:Account closed at consumer s request Closed or Paid Account/Zero Balance Amount in H/C column is credit limit
 Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$0 
Past due:$0$0
Last activity:12/1/201112/1/2011
Description:Credit card Amount in H/C column is credit limit Account closed at consumer s request Closed or Paid Account/Zero Balance Amount in H/C column is credit limit
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score Dropped Because Closed Account?

You decreased your available credit and raised your util.  I take it you have some revolving debt. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

SW alerts can be a hit or miss because it grabs the latest score and makes an assumption that the score change was caused by whatever reason they throw out. However, in your case, I think they are spot on. Once you close a CC, then the balance and the CL are forever removed from your CC util. So, if you have any balances reporting whatsoever on any other CCs, then your utilization increased and score decreased when the account reported as closed. If you pay down your other CC balances you'll find that the score will rebound without any memory of the increased util.

ETA...slow typer disorder affects 10 million people worldwide. I'm one of those.

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I beat llecs to a post!   Now that's cause for a happy dance!!!!  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.