Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score before or after hard inquiry

tag
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Score before or after hard inquiry

A hard inquiry lowers one's FICO score. Does that mean that the score from the hard inquiry comes before or after that hard inquiry? I would imagine it's after, but then again maybe a software inquiry is done first to establish the score, then a hard to indicate applying for credit. (I'm referring to when lenders, not you, pull your scores.)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Score before or after hard inquiry

@too-much-time wrote:

A hard inquiry lowers one's FICO score. Does that mean that the score from the hard inquiry comes before or after that hard inquiry? I would imagine it's after, but then again maybe a software inquiry is done first to establish the score, then a hard to indicate applying for credit. (I'm referring to when lenders, not you, pull your scores.)

The score is generated on info already on file with the CRA, since the inquiry is not present it isnt included in the score calculation. The score that they may send to you is the score prior to their hard inquiry being added...

Message 2 of 4
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

gdale, I've been curious about that, too. Thanks for the answer.

Message 3 of 4
YahComb
Established Contributor

if they only scored you post pull, you'd never really get to apply with an inquiry free report.  Considering for a lot of people, that first inquiry inside of 12 months  may be the one that drops your score the most, it would kinda defeat the purpose.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.