Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score dropped after paying down CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Score dropped after paying down CC

More info for the people who say something else is the cause.

I have 5 credit cards. None of them are late. 2 years old. Util overall: 38%.

1 auto loan. 16 months. Zero lates
1 CLOC: zero lates. 2 years old

Zero Collections
1 public record. Bankruptcy. Almost 4 years old from 9/2014

absolutey NOTHING has changed EXCEPT payed down 1 CC from 63% to 28%......CL: $12,500 paid down to $3,604.
Message 11 of 21
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Samething happened to me this month, paid a card down and lost 10 points. Im about to charge it back lol.

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Me too. That was almost $6k i paid. Only to have a minus 32 points.... That is complete B S .
Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymousabsolutey NOTHING has changed EXCEPT payed down 1 CC from 63% to 28%......CL: $12,500 paid down to $3,604.

While this may seem to be the case on the surface, it simply cannot be true.  Paying down CC utilization from 63% to 28% cannot lower your FICO scores.  It's impossible.  All you can do is obtain a copy of your real credit report and go through it line by line to see what exactly changed. 

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tooleman694Samething happened to me this month, paid a card down and lost 10 points. Im about to charge it back lol.

Again, the same issue here.  Yes, you paid down a card and lost 10 points, but you did not lose 10 points from paying a card down.  I know it's very difficult to try and see these two events as being unrelated since they appear to have taken place at the same time, but I can assure you that they are unrelated.

Message 15 of 21
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I checked my report up and down, it was that card. I think it was because with the lower balance I dont even have 1 percent total utilization.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tooleman694I checked my report up and down, it was that card. I think it was because with the lower balance I dont even have 1 percent total utilization.

What is the reported balance for that card when you look at your credit report?  If the number is anything greater than $0, even $1, the account is viewed as having 1% utilization and it would be impossible to receive a FICO score drop based on that account.  If the reported balance is indeed $0 when you look at your report and you have no other revolvers with a current reported balance of > $0 it would be possible that your score dropped. 

Message 17 of 21
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

So I was testing all zero except one, couple days before I had my second account with a balance go to zero. 10 points up, then I made the minimum payment on my last account with a balance and I lost the 10 points. It posted a balance of 20 bucks.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember too guys that going from multiple cards showing a balance to exactly one card showing a balance can be treated by FICO 8 as if all cards are at a $0 balance if the one card that has a positive balance is:

* A charge card, or

* A store card, or

* An AU card, or

* A card with an ultrahigh credit limit (> 50k)

Message 19 of 21
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

It was my discover card.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.