Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score increased for no reason

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Score increased for no reason

This is odd. My last SW alert was about 10 days ago, when my Navy reported a balance and my score dropped from 685 to 661. Nothing has changed on my CR since then.

I pulled my USAA 3 in 1 just to check. Also, my SW alerts usually also have alerts about changes. Like my alert from 10 days ago said that a balance changed and my score changed.

Today, I only got one alert: my score increased from 661 to 679. Obviously I'm not complaining. It's just odd. I'm curious about what can trigger this. How often is my score re-calculated when there are no changes?

Thanks for any ideas! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: Score increased for no reason

@bichonmom wrote:

This is odd. My last SW alert was about 10 days ago, when my Navy reported a balance and my score dropped from 685 to 661. Nothing has changed on my CR since then.

I pulled my USAA 3 in 1 just to check. Also, my SW alerts usually also have alerts about changes. Like my alert from 10 days ago said that a balance changed and my score changed.

Today, I only got one alert: my score increased from 661 to 679. Obviously I'm not complaining. It's just odd. I'm curious about what can trigger this. How often is my score re-calculated when there are no changes?

Thanks for any ideas! Smiley Happy

Since FICO scores are a snapshot in time, any factor can influence a change in the number. For instance, an account ages, a balance change reports, util% changes with a balance change, etc.  FICO scores can stay the same for a long period of time, or with an account with a lot of activity be different from morning to night (if new information posts to the CB). I guess I am trying to say that some changes, like aging of accounts are passive changes.  Some changes are due to when info posts.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I have credit monitoring plus SW (which also monitors my EQ), so I would have been notified of any changes. Plus, I double-checked my reports. There were no changes between my last SW and this one. I guess I can just attribute the increase to overall aging of my accounts. This month is the 1-year anniversary of my oldest CC (though I did have installment accts before that). So, maybe the 1-yr mark w/revolving accts increased my score ?? It's a good thing. I just wish the score changes also included the explanation! Smiley Frustrated

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Many of my score changes occurred on the first of the month as the accounts aged a month older.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

Many of my score changes occurred on the first of the month as the accounts aged a month older.

I wonder if that's what caused my TU FICO to jump from 799 to 806 when I pulled my TU report here yesterday, my last pull was 2/2/2012 and Tu was at 799 and when I pulled it yesterday 3/3/2012 it was 806.

There were absolutely no changes to my report, if you were to gander a guess, do you think that may have been why my score jumped 7 points?

And Congratulations to you BM on your score increase, you are doing wonderful, keep up the great work.

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I wonder if that's what caused my TU FICO to jump from 799 to 806 when I pulled my TU report here yesterday, my last pull was 2/2/2012 and Tu was at 799 and when I pulled it yesterday 3/3/2012 it was 806.

There were absolutely no changes to my report, if you were to gander a guess, do you think that may have been why my score jumped 7 points?

And Congratulations to you BM on your score increase, you are doing wonderful, keep up the great work.

The open dates are set to the first of each month, by default, on your EQ and TU reports. I personally hope for score changes when my oldest revolving, oldest installment, and my oldest TL overall ages. I've seen score changes when those hit another year older and even documented a half-year change which resulted in an increase.

I used to pull my FICO scores on the last day of the month and again on the first day and it's easy to narrow everything else out for the change (though I don't pull as frequently now). Also you can expect a change if AAoA hits another year, though it will not happen every year.

Finally, if you have any accounts inside a year, then there's a chance for a score change as those new accounts age. Oh...also, I've found that my lates dropped on the first, though my experience on that is limited only to a small number of past baddies.

Message 6 of 8
chromonso1
Established Member

USAA CM FAKO scores are worthless. Seriously atleast on Safari and Firefox (for Mac) browsers, If I go to the score simulator and try to put in a lower balance overall than what I currently, have, the score sim usually says I will lose about 50 points. 

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@chromonso1 wrote:

USAA CM FAKO scores are worthless. Seriously atleast on Safari and Firefox (for Mac) browsers, If I go to the score simulator and try to put in a lower balance overall than what I currently, have, the score sim usually says I will lose about 50 points. 

Wierd, I wouldn't have guessed that was browser-related.  Have you tried on a Windows IE platform, or other OS/browser combinations like Chrome?

I think it's just what you said anyway, they're mostly worthless except for the credit report access (though they can be a good ballpark number as long as you're aware that they're not FICO scores).  I just chalked these up to algorithm strangeness, like the additional 2 year length of positive credit history on Credit Karma where my score dropped 3 points.  Goofy.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.