Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Score jumped two points on personal loan balance decrease

tag
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

Score jumped two points on personal loan balance decrease

My AmEx loan went from 11% paid to 15% and I got two points on EX 8. Pleasant surprise as I didn't think that was a thing on personal loans. 

Is 88.9% a known scoring tier and I just forgot? Nice surprise either way. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Score jumped two points on personal loan balance decrease

Installment loan utilization thresholds hasn't been well documented.

Thank you for sharing the data point. If you care to continue, the community could learn a lot.

Only well known threshold is 8.9% utilization.
Message 2 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@CaptJOB wrote:

My AmEx loan went from 11% paid to 15% and I got two points on EX 8. Pleasant surprise as I didn't think that was a thing on personal loans. 

Is 88.9% a known scoring tier and I just forgot? Nice surprise either way. 

Im sure this is backwards. Once it passes below 8.9%. That will be the biggest boost.

Message 3 of 5
RSX
Valued Contributor

He is referring to Paid

so it is backwards to how we usually look

but my understanding is that at each of the below steps, there are points to be gained

88.9%. 68.9% 48.9% 28.9% and the most points at 8.9%

i think the 2 points are from the fact that above 89% is considered a maxed out account. 

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No those are revolving breakpoints. As @AllZero stated, installment breakpoints have not been documented very well.

I appear to of gotten a couple points at 92%, here apparently at 88 there’s rumors of one at 65-66%, but the big one is it 8.9%. Also heard rumors around 80%.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.