Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scores changing for reasons that don't generate alerts

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Scores changing for reasons that don't generate alerts

Just before Christmas, my TU score went down about 14 points, for no apparent reason. I got an alert saying that my score had changed "for a reason not tracked by MyFICO alerts." I thought it was weird, but it didn't bother me, because I think my scores are unrealistically high anyway. I actually wish they'd go down to reflect my actual odds of being approved for stuff. Still, it was puzzling.

Today, the opposite happened - my TU score pretty much regained the points it lost in December, again for no apparent reason.

See screenshots below. If anything, the alert suggests it should have gone up in December and gone down now, but it did the opposite. I am sure there are reasons, but I don't know how to figure the reasons out.

There are no X factors that would give an obvious answer. My balances have fluctuated a bit, but nothing significant (and generally opposite of what you'd expect with the score). No new accounts have appeared on TU for several months. The Apple Card is new, but hasn't appeared on TU yet. I did get one HP for Apple on Dec. 25, which is after the December drop. There was no further drop due to the HP.

Any likely culprits for these fluctuations? I understand that my profile is pretty weird, so I might have weird factors that don't apply to most people (heavy credit-seeking and numerous inquiries), but I don't see an obvious way those factors would be in play in these specific score changes.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.12.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.13.28 PM.png

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Re: Scores changing for reasons that don't generate alerts

Could it be the reported $0 balance?
Message 2 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Total bankcard or credit cards went from $5 to $0. Loss points. Then a month later one of the cards reported a balance. You got points back.

Message 3 of 12
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Total balance of $0 could be the issue, but let me add a couple of details to see if they are compatible with the theory.

1 - At all points, the card on which I am an AU has reported a balance. So if you count that the same as my cards, there was never a time when my bank cards collectively had a $0 balance. But if AU cards do not count in that measure, that fits the theory.

2 - My Gold Card reported a balance of $26 on Jan. 4, but I only got the points back on TU today. If charge cards do not count in this measure, that fits the theory.

Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 4 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@KJinNC wrote:

Total balance of $0 could be the issue, but let me add a couple of details to see if they are compatible with the theory.

1 - At all points, the card on which I am an AU has reported a balance. So if you count that the same as my cards, there was never a time when my bank cards collectively had a $0 balance. But if AU cards do not count in that measure, that fits the theory.

2 - My Gold Card reported a balance of $26 on Jan. 4, but I only got the points back on TU today. If charge cards do not count in this measure, that fits the theory.

Thanks!

Right on both counts actually; AU cards don't count for everyone; actually the all zeroes test is the most elegant way of determining whether an AU counts or not.

Amex charge cards are not included at least for FICO 8/9 in the number of accounts (revolvers for those two on my data set) with balances calculation.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/All-revolvers-zero-testing-HELOC-Amex-ch...

        
Message 5 of 12
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Also, I realized after my last post that the score change that I illustrated was on TransUnion, which does not include the AU card. It's on EQ and EX but not on TU. However, I had similar December falls and January increases on the other two, they just weren't as easy to illustrate. They all fell on the same day, but EQ and EX rose sooner than TU.

I guess I'll chalk it up to $0 balance. (I wonder why MyFICO doesn't give that as a reason?)

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does on certain versions. You are experiencing the no revolving balance penalty. When all cards report zero, you lose points. When one reports a balance you get them back.

As Rev said, you just demonstrated that your AU does not count for version eight and nine. But at least it still counts for the mortgage scores.

Be aware that if your AU card(s) did count, it would also trigger the no revolving balance penalty when it hits zero, independently of your own accounts.
Message 7 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

Just before Christmas, my TU score went down about 14 points, for no apparent reason. I got an alert saying that my score had changed "for a reason not tracked by MyFICO alerts." I thought it was weird, but it didn't bother me, because I think my scores are unrealistically high anyway. I actually wish they'd go down to reflect my actual odds of being approved for stuff. Still, it was puzzling.

Today, the opposite happened - my TU score pretty much regained the points it lost in December, again for no apparent reason.

See screenshots below. If anything, the alert suggests it should have gone up in December and gone down now, but it did the opposite. I am sure there are reasons, but I don't know how to figure the reasons out.

There are no X factors that would give an obvious answer. My balances have fluctuated a bit, but nothing significant (and generally opposite of what you'd expect with the score). No new accounts have appeared on TU for several months. The Apple Card is new, but hasn't appeared on TU yet. I did get one HP for Apple on Dec. 25, which is after the December drop. There was no further drop due to the HP.

Any likely culprits for these fluctuations? I understand that my profile is pretty weird, so I might have weird factors that don't apply to most people (heavy credit-seeking and numerous inquiries), but I don't see an obvious way those factors would be in play in these specific score changes.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.12.46 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-20 at 1.13.28 PM.png

On 12/24 you did not get an alert saying that 'your score had changed for a reason not tracked by MyFICO alerts.' You got an alert saying that your bankcard balances, according to TU data, had decreased by $5. Additionally, the alert indicated that your TU FICO 8 score had gone down 16 points.

On 1/19 you got an alert saying that your bankcard balances, according to TU data, had increased by $137. Additionally, the report indicated that your TU FICO 8 score had gone down 11 points.

There was no cause and effect between any of these events.

So far I have absolutely zero information as to what might have caused the score increase and score decrease. I would need to know what was in your reports before the change and after. You have given us no information with which to work.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 8 of 12
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

In December, I did get the "for a reason not tracked by MyFICO alerts" language or similar. It's not in that screenshot, but I saw it somewhere, probably in the app. Bear in mind that this happened on all three CRs and I'm only showing a desktop screenshot from TU. If I put literally all info about my credit report in this thread, it would be rather lengthy, and I think we'd come to the same conclusion: it's probably due to $0 balance on all of my credit cards (excluding AU and charge) in December, and non-$0 balance in January.

Message 9 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@KJinNC wrote:

Also, I realized after my last post that the score change that I illustrated was on TransUnion, which does not include the AU card. It's on EQ and EX but not on TU. However, I had similar December falls and January increases on the other two, they just weren't as easy to illustrate. They all fell on the same day, but EQ and EX rose sooner than TU.

I guess I'll chalk it up to $0 balance. (I wonder why MyFICO doesn't give that as a reason?)

All zeroes isn't one of the alertable triggers.

When we're talking TU you generally get things on balance changes and score changes.  The nice thing about the TU service (at least when I had it and don't think it's changed) is one that second class you get full reason codes and that's the only place I'm aware of that's the case for FICO 8.

If you'd gotten that you would've seen something like "no revolving activity" as one of them probably, but being a balance change it doesn't come up like that.

Frankly there's a ton of things which can change the score which isn't an alert in any CMS... which is why we often see people saying WTH when really it was something else entirely and not the alerted reason which caused the score change.

        
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.