Scores not going up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scores not going up

So I just paid off Amex 987 dollars to 96 dollars
Macy's 553 to 0
Capitol one 254 to 0

My Equifax scores went up but my experian and Transunion scores have not. How come?

Equifax and experian are usually the same score for me but for this last jump Equifax went up from 704 to 728 yet experian stayed the same at 794 and Transunion stayed the same at 697. I had a total credit utilization at 18 percent and paid down everything to 1 percent. I called Experian and Transunion to see if it was updated on there end and it was. Credit karma boosted both scores up except myFICO doesn't show any score jump. I purchased just now a score from experian and it's also showing me 704, so is it possible that's it? It won't jump up to 728 like Equifax? Everything is the same on the two reports.. even myFICO simulator that I know you take with a grain of salt, simulated my experian and Equifax should go to 725+ Equifax did experian didn't
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scores not going up

I'm sorry I mean experian stayed at 704
Message 2 of 7
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I just paid off Amex 987 dollars to 96 dollars
Macy's 553 to 0
Capitol one 254 to 0

My Equifax scores went up but my experian and Transunion scores have not. How come?

Equifax and experian are usually the same score for me but for this last jump Equifax went up from 704 to 728 yet experian stayed the same at 794 and Transunion stayed the same at 697. I had a total credit utilization at 18 percent and paid down everything to 1 percent. I called Experian and Transunion to see if it was updated on there end and it was. Credit karma boosted both scores up except myFICO doesn't show any score jump. I purchased just now a score from experian and it's also showing me 704, so is it possible that's it? It won't jump up to 728 like Equifax? Everything is the same on the two reports.. even myFICO simulator that I know you take with a grain of salt, simulated my experian and Equifax should go to 725+ Equifax did experian didn't

Just for clarification, so since you have paid these amounts, the following has happened-

1) new statements have cut showing the payments and these balances? (not going by due date or when you paid them off)

2) After the new statements are cuts, each creditor then reports to each (hopefully) credit bureau in about 5-7 days.

3) Then they are scored by FICO a few days after this time period. 

I can get a statement cut, and I will get an alert from TU or one of the bureaus first, but the other two might be 3 days later. 

If all of the steps have transpired, I have no idea why the scores are not budging for that great amount of utility reduction. 

Btw, for optimal scoring, do you have an installment loan in the mix along with your CCs? If not we can direct you to the best one used here that will show optimal results within 2 months or so. 

Edit to add- most likely all your accounts will not have the same statement dates. 

Example with mine- One due date is the 28th of this month, I paid it a week ago, new statement will not cut till early June to reflect my payment, and I will not start seeing the alerts from this one account till 7-10 days after the June statement. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like mentioned before they have been reported and updated with the bureaus. Gets me confused a bit. I keep checking yet nothing with myFICO. The update for Macy's was on may 14th. I got the notification for Equifax that it was paid down and my score jumped 5 points yet nothing for Experian. Same thing for capitol one
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's important to understand that you're looking at scores from multiple different sources that use different scoring models (FICO vs VS 3.0) and are using different bureau data.  On top of that, no doubt their scores are being generated at different times as well, so essentially all 3 variables that can go into scores being different than one another are at play here.

You want to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  So basically, the same score from the same place before you change something and then again after you change it.  Many, myself included, recommend CCT for this due to their simple $1 trials.  You can pull your scores for $1 before an event change, then something changes and you can pull your scores again anywhere from 7-10 days later for free.  They are FICO 08 scores.  This may be something that you want to consider in the future when making profile changes if you really want to know what the change is to your scores.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

RULE #5 FOR CREDIT REBUILDING: CREDIT KARMA IS NOT A REAL FICO SCORE, IGNORE THEIR SCORES.

If a credit score on a web site does not say FICO, it isn't a score anyone uses so you can throw it away.  Credit Karma is great for free monitoring of things like inquiries or accounts in general, but their scoring is useless.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not useless, just mostly useless. Some places like landlords or cable companies may use VS 3.0 scores, so if considering one of those things they may be meaningful to the applicant.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.