Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my OLDEST CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my OLDEST CC?

Hi All,

Should I close my Oldest (Active account)?... I have 14 years total in credit but this Card is my oldest (ACTIVE)/(OPEN) 

Best Buy (5 years) CL-$1000 Balance $0... (I ralrey use this card...I don't shop a BB that much anymore)

Should I dump this? I mean I could try a CLI to bump my Ratio/Untlization%  up, But would it be wise to dump this one and get another card in its place that has a better reward?, or should I keep it and use it once and a while to get small things to keep my credit age up? 

I have 6 Total accounts open

Auto - Current

Discover-IT- Unscured- $1800-Limit -Balance $0 -Age 7mo.

Chase Card - $10,000 Limit -Balance $0 age 2 years

Walmart - $200 Limit - Balance $0 Age 1 week

Best Buy - $1000 Limit (Was Deniled last year 2-17-208 for CLI) Balance $0 5Yrs

WellsFargo $3500 Limit - Balance $2945 Age- 1 year

Let me know youur thoughts!

THANKS EVERYONE THESE FOURMS HAVE TAUGHT ME ALOT!!!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I close my OLDEST CC?

I would highly recommend to keep it open, throw a small charge on it and set it to auto-pay. I would not close it unless you absolutely need to. Even though it'll stay on your CR for 10 years after closing, I would leave it for now.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input! I was leaning towards keeping it,  just tossing a few tiny things on it /Christmas gifts each year on it and then PIF after. 

Message 3 of 24
xaximus
Valued Contributor

That's a good idea. I have a small checklist that I go through if I wanna keep a card or close -

1 - AF or no AF
2 - any special benefits that no other card I currently have provides?
3 - age
4 - can it be pc'd or combined
5 - credit limit and how often it has grown

I usually go through that checklist - if it has an AF, that alone is an indication that I would like to PC or close it. I always mention that when I'm speaking to a CSR. I have been able to get the AF waived before.

TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a question for ya! ...Do you feel using your Credit cards to pay your general bills is good? Or using them each month for bills would mess up your UTI? 

For example... We have all our Bills Elc/Cell/Water/Gas/Cable and so fourth auto paid but with our Checking account(which does nothing for your credit).. Would it be wise to set some of them to be Auto takin out of a Credit Card (with has a big enough limited already on it so you're not maxing it out each month)...and then just have the Credit card Autopay from the checking account that way the Card is being used and its payed off and I could get a CLI by doing this/showing good payments.. or Is doing this just a waste of an extra step? Because Im already on Autopay with all my bills but would it be wise to Autopay with Credit card and then Auto from my Checking account.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like your oldest CC is 3+ years older than your next oldest.  Based on that, I'd keep it open.  If not, in 10 years you would probably experience some sort of score drop (hard to say how much) when your AoOA drops from 15 years to 12 years.

Message 6 of 24
rbentley
Established Contributor

@xaximus wrote:
I would highly recommend to keep it open, throw a small charge on it and set it to auto-pay. I would not close it unless you absolutely need to. Even though it'll stay on your CR for 10 years after closing, I would leave it for now.

Why do you recommend keeping it open?  It will continue to age and contribute to his AAoA for 7-10 years.  I am considering doing much the same thing and am interested in why I might want to keep it open.  Mine has an AF and a small CL that is not growing.

Message 7 of 24
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a question for ya! ...Do you feel using your Credit cards to pay your general bills is good? Or using them each month for bills would mess up your UTI? 

For example... We have all our Bills Elc/Cell/Water/Gas/Cable and so fourth auto paid but with our Checking account(which does nothing for your credit).. Would it be wise to set some of them to be Auto takin out of a Credit Card (with has a big enough limited already on it so you're not maxing it out each month)...and then just have the Credit card Autopay from the checking account that way the Card is being used and its payed off and I could get a CLI by doing this/showing good payments.. or Is doing this just a waste of an extra step? Because Im already on Autopay with all my bills but would it be wise to Autopay with Credit card and then Auto from my Checking account.

Personally - that is exactly what I do. For any and all bills that do not charge an extra fee for paying by credit card, I put on CC's, then have them auto-pay on either statement dates, or due dates. This way, I have either CB/Points/Miles always accumulating at all times. At one point, I was getting about 10k-20k in points on one card ( I used it as a daily driver and had a few bills hitting so it was around ~1k a month going through it easily in a month). With those points, I got 2 free flights. So it mostly definitely is worth it. Just make sure you can an eye on your bills/charges and make sure there's no discrepencies. 

TCL - Est. $410K
Message 8 of 24
xaximus
Valued Contributor

@rbentley wrote:

@xaximus wrote:

Why do you recommend keeping it open?  It will continue to age and contribute to his AAoA for 7-10 years.  I am considering doing much the same thing and am interested in why I might want to keep it open.  Mine has an AF and a small CL that is not growing.

In the OP's situation - I would keep it open for several reasons. One being age, two being that there's no AF, so there's no loss in leaving it open, it's helping his AAoA and with his other cards being quite a bit younger, that card has a bigger effect.

In your case - since you have an AF, small CL and not growing, I would definitely see what options you have - possibly try to PC to a non-AF card, not sure on the age of account or AAoA so unable to comment on that. I would definitely speak to a CSR to see what is available to PC too, what can be done about the AF, sometimes CSR's have the ability to waive it. 

TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

FANTASIC NEWS! THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!, I mean its a loop hole I think we all miss. You make complete sense on what your saying...You're already gonna pay the bills anyways why not just set up them on Auto and reek the points! Thanks my Friend!!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.