cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shuffle credit balances for a better score?

tag
Tastycakes
Valued Member

Shuffle credit balances for a better score?

Lets say I have high util at ~85% with 7 credit accounts. 2 accounts are credit cards with high limits with 70% usage and 6 year history. The rest are low limit cards (mostly store cards) that are maxed out with 2-5 year history and 2 of these smaller cards each have a 30 day late payment. Would it be better balance transfer my low limit cards/store cards that are maxed out to the 2 main cards (maxing those out) and have 3-4 cards with low limits and $0 balances? Also do you think having a balance or not on a card w/ a 30 day late matters?

Thanks in advance.

6/2012 - TU 565 EQ 556 Smiley Sad
4/2009 - TU 663 EQ 657
3/2009 - TU 629 EQ 651
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Shuffle credit balances for a better score?

@Tastycakes wrote:

Lets say I have high util at ~85% with 7 credit accounts. 2 accounts are credit cards with high limits with 70% usage and 6 year history. The rest are low limit cards (mostly store cards) that are maxed out with 2-5 year history and 2 of these smaller cards each have a 30 day late payment. Would it be better balance transfer my low limit cards/store cards that are maxed out to the 2 main cards (maxing those out) and have 3-4 cards with low limits and $0 balances? Also do you think having a balance or not on a card w/ a 30 day late matters?

Thanks in advance.

It's really hard to predict if you would get a significant FICO gain from doing this, but unless you are trying to tweak your scores for a major purchase right now I would look at it from an interest rate perspective ~ what scenario would benefit you most in terms of paying the balances down ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

Im kinda in the same situation. I think it all depends on the total utilization ($5000 on 1 card is the same as $2500 on 2 in the creditors eyes), but I could be wrong. I just did a BT from high interest cards to a 0% card in order to save on interest. Some other users pointed out that some lenders may see this as being finacially "responsible" because I am saving on interest. Do it just to save $ ton interest and put it towards your debt. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

@Tastycakes wrote:

Thanks in advance.

It's really hard to predict if you would get a significant FICO gain from doing this, but unless you are trying to tweak your scores for a major purchase right now I would look at it from an interest rate perspective ~ what scenario would benefit you most in terms of paying the balances down ?

+1

Not to rain on your parade or sound like your dad or anything but I would go with the APR paydown rule so if it helps you out to transfer stuff to a card that has a lower APR then I would do that and focus on paying down your debt first! 

Message 4 of 9
tuntavnerarty
Established Member

i dont think it will do much for your score. the best thing to do is pay them off in full and only use 5% or less of your available credit then your score will skyrocket thats the only way.

Starting Score: 549 EQ JAN 2012 MY FICO 569 TU JAN 2012 MY FICO JAN 2012
Current Score: 654 EQ 6/20/2012 MY FICO 661 TU 6/20/2012 MY FICO
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
Tastycakes
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

@Tastycakes wrote:

Thanks in advance.

+1

Not to rain on your parade or sound like your dad or anything but I would go with the APR paydown rule so if it helps you out to transfer stuff to a card that has a lower APR then I would do that and focus on paying down your debt first! 

Well I'll be transferring to the main cards anyway. I have PNC which has that pnc.com/options thing where you can get a really low APR for a year if your having "trouble" making payments but you just can't touch your cards for that year, I did it last year and got offered 4% and 7% (obviously accepted the 4%). So I was going to transfer as much as possible onto the main cards then lock in that low APR for a year again.

I just have to answer the questions right because when you do the pnc.com/option thing they ask you a little questioner of why your having trouble which I assume if I answer "because I'm broke" they'll just lower my limits lol. Last year I chose the "changed jobs w/o a loss of pay" and got 4% APR which helped out a lot, wonder if I can use the change jobs option again Smiley Happy.

6/2012 - TU 565 EQ 556 Smiley Sad
4/2009 - TU 663 EQ 657
3/2009 - TU 629 EQ 651
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I wish you all the best good luck!

Message 7 of 9
tuntavnerarty
Established Member

yeah but if you just keep transfering mone from one card to another you will never get out of debt and the goal of restoring your credit especially with a credit card is to have a low balance. so pay it off asap and stop wasting your money.

Starting Score: 549 EQ JAN 2012 MY FICO 569 TU JAN 2012 MY FICO JAN 2012
Current Score: 654 EQ 6/20/2012 MY FICO 661 TU 6/20/2012 MY FICO
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Tastycakes wrote:

Thanks in advance.

How much are the Balance Transfer fees?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.