Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly util question Re:calculations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Silly util question Re:calculations

I received my first statement on my new gas card, and wish this acct. and ALL my cc accounts to stay in the 1%-9% util range. So I'm picking middle ground at 5% util. Reasonable, right? my question: I have a CL of $400 on this gas card; my statement bal. is $320.80; I paid $300.00. soooooo, I calculate my util to be 5.2%. (leaving a bal. of 20.80 divided by CL of $400.00 = 5.2%) Am I looking at this correctly? if not, please tell me the methodology of the correct calculations. yeah, I know, I used it wayyyyy to much but this was, after all my first gas card, and wanted to test drive it. LOL Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Silly util question Re:calculations

@Anonymous wrote:
I received my first statement on my new gas card, and wish this acct. and ALL my cc accounts to stay in the 1%-9% util range. So I'm picking middle ground at 5% util. Reasonable, right? my question: I have a CL of $400 on this gas card; my statement bal. is $320.80; I paid $300.00. soooooo, I calculate my util to be 5.2%. (leaving a bal. of 20.80 divided by CL of $400.00 = 5.2%) Am I looking at this correctly? if not, please tell me the methodology of the correct calculations. yeah, I know, I used it wayyyyy to much but this was, after all my first gas card, and wanted to test drive it. LOL Smiley Happy

Yes, correct. Smiley Happy You can also have 10 credit cards with $100 CL each and only carry 1 balance with $50 and you will still be at 5%. Either way is fine.
Message 2 of 3
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Silly util question Re:calculations

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, correct. Smiley Happy You can also have 10 credit cards with $100 CL each and only carry 1 balance with $50 and you will still be at 5%. Either way is fine.

Overall util would be 5% in your example but one card would be at 50%, not so good. OP you want both your util on each card and your cumulative util (total for all cards) to be at 1-9%.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.