dakota911

Stimulating Mortgage Fico Score

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Stimulating Mortgage Fico Score

@dakota911 wrote:

I have found the score stimulators to be very helpful in learning how to improve our scores. We have made huge progress and have gotten our scores up about 100 points and final into the fair range. THEN I discover that mortgage lenders use a diferrent blend! Our mortgage scores range from a low/550, median/575, high/610 between the three.

I only have 1 year to improve these scores enough to get a mortgage - is there any way to figure out if this possible? Is there a score stimulator for the mortgage combination?

Our LTV will be about 70% with income of $100K and no other debt by time of app.

Thanks for any help!!  Those two lower scores just really scare me.

Credit score simulators that are specific to mortgage scores don't exist as far as I know.

The FICO 04 scores that are used for mortgage lending will really hammer your scores if you have baddies on your reports. FICO 08 models are much more forgiving of some baddies.

I would need to know more about your existing credit to give accurate advice.

Oldest credit account?

How many credit cards do you have and what are their balances/credit lines?

How old are your credit cards?

Do you have any auto or installment loans on your reports? Open? Closed?

And...How many baddies do you have? What are they?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 11
dakota911

Is there such a thing as a mortgage broker that will work with you to help bring your score up to meet their requirements? We have a contract for deed with an estate that we need to refinance within the next 15 months or we have to sell.

Message 3 of 11
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@dakota911 wrote:

Is there such a thing as a mortgage broker that will work with you to help bring your score up to meet their requirements? We have a contract for deed with an estate that we need to refinance within the next 15 months or we have to sell.

This forum right here is the best place for you to get advice on raising your scores. If you can't get them high enough in a year then you need to seek out a mortgage broker that has access to unconventional financing arrangements but that usually means high interest rates.

What do your reports look like?

Message 4 of 11
dakota911

Message 5 of 11
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@dakota911 wrote:

We have two car loans Wells Fargo and Chrysler with less than a year always paid on time. Less than $5000 owed on both. Oldest account is 15 years. One mistake was closing most accounts while paying off. Total of $5000 still owed on revolving with 12 accounts and half still open. No bankrupty or public accounts. 3 paid charge offs that I am working on getting deleted. So far 1 is off and two showing paid after charge off. Income is $115k gross and both been on the job more than two years and in same industry for career. Baddies are all in the last couple of years due medical issues and taking care of elderly family members. Just got out of hand with credit.  house is valued at 225K and will need to refinance about 165K. Not concerned about ltv or interest rate just need to qualify! Current score is just over 600 for regular credit but middle score on mortgage is is at 575.

Okay, now you just need a plan of action!

These are my suggestions and feel free to ask questions if you need clarification.

1. Don't worry about paying the auto loans off early. When the auto loans are paid off your scores will probably drop. FICO likes for you to have open installment loans on your reports and gives you points for that. Installment loans are treated differently than revolving credit. (Credit Cards)

2. Get your credit cards paid down as best as you can. This is really the only area of scoring where you have 100% control. You would like to end up with 1 card reporting a balance of less than 10% of its credit line and all the rest $0. Do not ever close any credit cards unless they have an annual fee. Use the snowball method which is: Pay the minimums on all the cards except the 1 with the smallest balance. Put any extra money on the card with the smallest balance until it is paid off. Rinse and repeat. You NEED to have 1 card report a small balance every month or your scores will actually drop. I personally lose 18 points when all my cards report $0. You will pick up points for every card that you get to report $0 until the last card.

You mentioned 12 cards with 6 still open? Did you close 6 credit cards? Are there still balances on the closed accounts?

3. Work on getting the baddies removed. This is the quickest way to high scores. As long as you have just 1 baddie on a report the highest scores you can expect is about 700 to 740 no matter how good your report is otherwise. Visit the "Rebuilding Your Credit" forum on this website and learn how to do PFDs (Pay for Deletes) and GW (Good Will) letters. The first one is difficult to do but after that it is easy! IT REALLY WORKS! YOU MUST DO PFDs AND GW LETTERS! The last baddie on your report is worth the most points. It could be worth as much as 100 points! Even if you don't get all the baddies removed, you will look much better on a manual review with only a couple of baddies. Your attempts might not work the first time you try. Just keep sending the GWs and negotiating PFDs until they do what you want!

Work on the newest baddies first if possible. Mortgage lenders want to see AT LEAST 2 years of PERFECT credit history leading up to the mortgage application. If at the time of mortgage application you have ANY baddies that are younger than 2 years old you will have a hard time.

I have 1 baddie on my EQ and TU reports. It is a State tax lien from 2007 and is considered a MAJOR baddie. The tax lien dropped off my EX report about a month ago and left me with a spotlessly clean EX report. My EX mortgage score shot up from 682 to 786 which is a difference of 104 points!

Here are my scores from when I tested the 1 card reporting a small balance versus all cards reporting zero. You can see what my EQ and TU scores look like with the 1 tax lien versus my EX scores from a clean report:

Message 6 of 11
dakota911

Ok that really helps - so in that two year span that they prefer a clean record - does that count a late revolving payment? What about the three that are paid chargeoffs - if they stay on the report put show paid do we have any hope of getting mortgage? We don't have a full two years to wait to get beyond those records being two years old.  Is there any way of getting paid charge-offs changed or deleted?

Message 7 of 11
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@dakota911 wrote:

Ok that really helps - so in that two year span that they prefer WANT a clean record - does that count a late revolving payment? What about the three that are paid chargeoffs - if they stay on the report put show paid do we have any hope of getting mortgage? We don't have a full two years to wait to get beyond those records being two years old.  Is there any way of getting paid charge-offs changed or deleted?

For sure lenders will want to see everything paid on your reports.

A paid collection versus an unpaid collection means absolutely nothing to FICO scoring. It's too bad you stopped by here after paying the collections because as long as you owe them money you are in the driver's seat and can negotiate for Pay For Deletes. You can still do GW letters and YOU REALLY NEED TO DO THIS! THEY WORK BUT USUALLY NOT THE FIRST TIME! Think up a good sob story and pour it on strong. Keep sending GW letters until they remove the baddies. (I really need to refinance my house or my wife and 2 kids will be out on the street. I've tried really hard to make my payments on time and actually did get them paid off but they were late. It was just such a trying time with my medical issues and all until my wife turned into a dinosaur from the black lagoon!) Catch my drift!

And unfortunately, yes, the 30 day late counts in that 2 year span. GW letters work on late payments too!

Listen...How bad do you want this mortgage?

You need to learn how to write GW letters and spend about 2 hours getting everything together and crafting a REALLY good sob story. You send the letters out and wait a couple of weeks for a response. It will be a yes or no answer. If it is no, craft and send another letter. Keep rinsing and repeating for as long as it takes. IT WILL WORK!

You might spend a total of 2 hours every couple of weeks doing this in the next year. Is that worth the mortgage to you?

You asked - What about the three that are paid chargeoffs - if they stay on the report put show paid do we have any hope of getting mortgage?

There is always hope but you need to spend this time getting your reports to look as good as they can in the meantime.

Message 8 of 11
dakota911

Message 9 of 11
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@dakota911 wrote:

Oh my I needed your help a year ago!

OK I spent a couple hours going through it all - UGH! What little bits can cause such damage!

I am ready to dig in and get some progress made but where to put the energy - questions:

1. If I have a few 30 lates but they are older than 2 years - should I still take the effort to get them removed?? Yes, yes and yes.

2. If an account is paid off and closed as agreed - credit card - but had a string of bad - BOA 120 days late - but it was a 3500 credit card and we paid it off. 120 day is still in the 2 year range. Worth trying to get the 120 removed? Wow! Yes, a 120 late is a MAJOR baddie! Get the whole account removed. You need to start sending GW letters now!

3. One of my worst is Credit one - small credit line that rang up huge late fees etc and reported many lates and then charged off - I still have a payment plan worked out with a collection agency on that one with only 5 payments left. Advice on that one?? Try to negotiate a pay for delete. You will pay them if they will delete the entire account once it is paid off. You need to learn how to negotiate a Pay for Delete on this one.

Priceless advice by the way!!

Dude! You really need to get your act together!

I'm serious, if you were on the other side of the desk having to approve you for a loan, what would you say? Would you lend yourself money?

Start an emergency fund so when somethiong bad happens you at least have some money to make minimum credit card payments. Set up auto payments for the minimum payments just in case you forget, you won't get hammered.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.