Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU FICO 9 an utter mystery...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TU FICO 9 an utter mystery...

@Anonymous wrote:
If you need 2 cards to report a balance, it's because 1 card isn't being counted by the FICO algorithm for some reason. Is one an AU account? If not and both are in fact being counted, there is no scoring benefit in having 2 cards report a balance over just 1.

As for using 1% of your limit, any non-zero reported balance even if it's a small percentage is rounded up to 1% utilization for FICO scoring PO purposes. While I have seen CMS software round down to 0, I have never heard of the FICO algorithm doing such a thing.

Great insight by BBS.  The card that is not being counted might be caused by it being an AU card or a charge card.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hex wrote:
Also when it happens I get reason codes stating I’m not using my (or enough of my) credit.

That reason code is what is presented when the FICO algorithm doesn't see any revolving credit use.  Maybe it has to do with the type of cards you have.  I know you said you have no AU cards, but perhaps the store cards could be the issue.  If you have a balance reported on one of your major bank cards (any balance that's > $0) it would cause that FICO 8 negative reason statement to go away and it wouldn't adversely impact your score.

Message 12 of 19
Hex
Valued Contributor

I never let my store cards report. Only my Venture and Navy Amex report.
Message 13 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

On all FICO models I never had that happen when I was in my tax lien scorecard, nor on my current clean (or cleanish, top 8 anyway EQ/TU), and literally anything reported was optimal for me, including way under 1%.  AFAIK tax liens and BK's are the same scorecards.

Where are you getting your scores and reason codes from Hex?

Something sounds strange to the point BBS raised before about something not counting right.  Have you ever disputed these accounts?

        
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like Rev, I too have not heard of any profile viewing a non-zero reported balance from a major bank card that's well under 1% utilization as no revolving credit use.  I would like to hear what your negative reason statements are listed out in order both when you're experiencing the score penalty and again what they are when you're not experiencing the scoring penalty.

Message 15 of 19
Hex
Valued Contributor

I only use myFICO to get my scores I get the 3B monthly and once in awhile I buy an extra report. I am working every night until Thursday but when I find some time I will find the exact reason statements. I’d let it happen again to show you but that would be too stressful. Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 19
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

Hi all.. I am sorry I dropped the ball on this thread.  I did not set it to alert me if there were responses.

To answer some of your questions:

Nothing else changed on my reports.  I watch them like a hawk through about 5 different services, including this one.  Mortgage score didn't change.. just the others. There were no inquiries, no account changes, literally nothing else changed. 

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 17 of 19
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

Your issues make the most sense to me.  With the CLI, I am now at 0% util, even if i do have small balances on some cards. But with that increase, it did me in on my too low util. I will boost the balance on one of my cards before statement cuts to see if that helps.  Thanks Rex. 

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 18 of 19
Hex
Valued Contributor

Rex,
Now I remember -that’s how I figured it out what the problem was. When I reported a small balance as suggested for AZEO it said I had 0% ultilization and my score dropped. It even said the same thing when I had several hundred dollars report. Only when I actually let over 1% of my available total CL report did the report show 1% utilization and I regained the points. You have a good idea -just let a little over 1% report and see if you get your points back. Having 1% report should not hurt your score and it might fix the problem. Please let me know what happens when you let the other card report.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.