cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TU is reporting my revolving debt incorrectly. (Proof from a picture or two)

tag
cashcardscore
New Contributor

TU is reporting my revolving debt incorrectly. (Proof from a picture or two)

TU says my score is 785 even with XX,XXX of debt owed and utilization of 23%

EQ has the exact same data but they give me 759

CK report 764

These are parts of screenshots that I took from my 6 Jan 11 report.

All of my debt is one card, this card. Could the explanation of the card type because the problem?

Starting Score: EQ 577
Current Score: EQ 686
Goal Score:EQ 700

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: TU is reporting my revolving debt incorrectly. (Proof from a picture or two)

You've "xed" out information that might be relevant to explaining your results.  Revolving accounts with high credit limits (such as HELOCs) are excluded from the calculation of revolving utilization.  For me, my HELOC balance is excluded from util and total revolving debt on my TU report.

Message 2 of 9
cashcardscore
New Contributor

Re: TU is reporting my revolving debt incorrectly. (Proof from a picture or two)

Well I owe over $10k and I owe 50% of my USAA CC limit.

My overall util is 23%.

Starting Score: EQ 577
Current Score: EQ 686
Goal Score:EQ 700

Message 3 of 9
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

@Lel wrote:

You've "xed" out information that might be relevant to explaining your results.  Revolving accounts with high credit limits (such as HELOCs) are excluded from the calculation of revolving utilization.  For me, my HELOC balance is excluded from util and total revolving debt on my TU report.

That is apparently what is SUPPOSED to happen with a HELOC but for as long as I hada HELOC balance mine reporterd differently quite often.  The OP may have  a situation similar to mine.

Things simply do not always report they way they should.

Message 4 of 9
thetalent
Valued Member

I agree with you in that there is an obvious glitch in the TU98 scoring on this site

As I read your post, your USAA is a credit card not a home equity loan. When it comes to listing your positives utilization is low and it appears not to count the balance on this card, which is a good thing.

I have a similar situation where my TU score shows positive of 1% cc usage even though I have revolving account with a $12K (maybe it's the way they report their extended payment 0% interest plans). The low utilization helps my score like it does you, but on credit summary page the $12K is listed as a revolving account so something strange is happening in the utilization calculation. And there is no way I have $1.2 million in CLs (12K divided by 0.01).

There must be some reason why these types of cc's are excluded, but I know that mine is not a HELOC and I would like to understand why for credibility purposes.

Starting Score: TU 755 EQ 771
Current Score: TU 794 EQ 792
Goal Score: TU 800+ EQ 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I agree with you in that there is an obvious glitch in the TU98 scoring on this site

@thetalent wrote:

As I read your post, your USAA is a credit card not a home equity loan. When it comes to listing your positives utilization is low and it appears not to count the balance on this card, which is a good thing.

I have a similar situation where my TU score shows positive of 1% cc usage even though I have revolving account with a $12K (maybe it's the way they report their extended payment 0% interest plans). The low utilization helps my score like it does you, but on credit summary page the $12K is listed as a revolving account so something strange is happening in the utilization calculation. And there is no way I have $1.2 million in CLs (12K divided by 0.01).

There must be some reason why these types of cc's are excluded, but I know that mine is not a HELOC and I would like to understand why for credibility purposes.

The exclusion from utilization does not just apply to HELOCs, but also to high-limit credit cards.  That's why I referred to "revolving accounts with high credit limits above".  I only mentioned HELOCs as an example, because they are revolving accounts which often have high credit limits.

There are at least a few people around here who have CCs with very high credit limits, and the balance and credit limits of these cards are excluded from utilization.  At least that's what I recall from prior discussions.  If I'm able to dig up some old threads, I'll post links here.  If I'm incorrect in my recollection, I'll post an erratum. Smiley Happy

geronimo, I do recall that you've mentioned at least a few times in the past that your HELOC seems to flip back and forth between being included and excluded from utilization.  Without divulging too many details (if you don't want to) what is the approximate limit and balance of your HELOC, and does this balance fluctuate (that is, do you periodically tap your HELOC)?

Message 6 of 9
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

Re: I agree with you in that there is an obvious glitch in the TU98 scoring on this site

The credit limit is $51,2000.  There is no current balance it was apaid off this past january.  however the balalnce was decling over a two year period prior to that.   In some months it was excluded----sometimes fora few months ina row then the limit and balance would appear as revolving accounts then it would mysteriously correct itself.

i did writye TU twice about this.  In both cases they stopped considering it as a revolving balance  then a few months later the situation would reoccur.   I finally just lived with it until the balance was paid off.

Message 7 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@cashcardscore wrote:

Well I owe over $10k and I owe 50% of my USAA CC limit.

My overall util is 23%.

I've been following this thread but I still am unclear what you are asking. .

You say your EQ score is 759 with the same data. Do you think the 2 scores should be the same?

Please forgive my confusion.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 8 of 9
thetalent
Valued Member

Do you have exploitation as to why revolving with high limits are excluded? Just curious...

Thanks for your clarifying response to my misread of your post.

Starting Score: TU 755 EQ 771
Current Score: TU 794 EQ 792
Goal Score: TU 800+ EQ 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.