Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 850 Fallacy

tag
mborgens
Valued Member

The 850 Fallacy

I finally found the words that expressed my concerns over the pursuit of the perfect score. Who it was written by is unimportant, especially since she is trying to sell credit repair when this site is all anyone needs, but she expressed my concerns over pursuing the elusive 850.

Donna Fox wrote, A perfect FICO score "is like a good SAT score when you have no intention to go to college. It’s just a bragging right." I totally agree. I think it is more than an unused SAT score. I'm now visualizing it as a beauty pageant contestant, all pretty with the sprayed on adhesive keeping the swim suit from riding up, not a hair out of place, and years spent for this one moment to achieve perfection, but too pretty to take out.

I have pulled the perfect 990 Vantage score and a 840 FICO score, even with a recent inquiry, but I still feel like I'm carrying my SAT score telling everyone I could do well in college without ever applying.

Here is one of my pursuits which demonstrates my insanity. I opened a HomeDepot account (that was my recent inquiry), and used the no payments,no interest for a year plan. I was ecstatic until I learned my purchases put my utilization % up to 4% and dropped my score by about 5 points. Even though my score is still in the 800s, I was seriously considering paying it down. I was ready to give up the hundreds of dollars letting the money sit in my account for a year in order to keep from losing 5 points.

The goal of a good credit score is solely to be able to obtain additional credit at the lowest possible rate, and if you are using your credit availability wisely, it is by its very nature impossible to obtain a perfect score. I have been sucked in by the beast to believe the trophy on the mantle is the prize when in reality it is the mantle in the second or third home that is the real prize.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: The 850 Fallacy

mborgens wrote:
The goal of a good credit score is solely to be able to obtain additional credit at the lowest possible rate, and if you are using your credit availability wisely, it is by its very nature impossible to obtain a perfect score. I have been sucked in by the beast to believe the trophy on the mantle is the prize when in reality it is the mantle in the second or third home that is the real prize.

That is why some of us talk about financial sense and FICO sense.  Push your score up if you are going to get a loan, otherwise ignore it!

And if it is over 800 - relax and enjoy the ride!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it's no secret that I am out to learn the 850 formula too.

I'm doing it purely for the personal challenge. You did amazing in your credit quest. I know how hard it is to get where you are and "stay there". WOW. To stay at that score is something not even I am willing to do. No one shoots for 850 for credit reasons. I think it's ok to goal for 800's for buffer zone but 850 is purely for entertainment.

I did however go on an apping spree and play with accounts I normally would never have gotten to help my score. But that was all part of the entertainment aspect of playing the game. For just a small amount of paid interest (less than I'd spend going out with friends for 2 nights) I got to play the FICO game for a year. That's cheap entertainment! And when I needed to use credit I used it. Didn't worry about UTL. I always knew that if I spent X amount it affect my score X amount so I knew where my peak score was all the time. I don't always carry 1% UTL. I jump all over the place. I found no evidence that staying at a low UTL had any affect on scores except for that moment you pulled your scores. Activity yes, but a specific UTL no. I maxed out my credit for purchases, carried balances and got dinged for doing it too long. When you PIF it rebounds. (BTY never gained points for that activity either) So I don't even worry about UTL most of the time. When it comes to know for sure what my score is I PIF everything to 1% and pull my scores.

I love playing the game. Some time ago I think I forget it was even a credit score and turned in to a computer game for me researching and web searching, reading and helping other people. The game for me is learning ways to increase scores not keeping a high score. I love analyzing and learning. Some people play crossword puzzles I play FICO. But my way includes driving places for new accounts, opening new accounts, closing accounts then coming back to find out if I won a prize for it. I get the same satisfaction of seeing a 740 score jump to 743 as I do 830 jump to 833. Im not in it for the high score just ways to increase scores. The 850 is proof I understand all aspects. Every once and a while when UTL is low enough I pull a score. My highest was around where yours is. But I never try to keep my score up there! Credit is for using not looking at. That's why I give predictions not actual scores becasue I don't worry about where my scores are as long as I know why their not there. That's the whole game part of it. Understanding the algarighom. Smiley Happy Maybe you would like to paly it my way. So much more fun and you get to use credit while palying. If you already know your score is 840 than that is your base. If you apply for a new card and your score dropped -10. Ok keep a record of it. Then if UTL drops -30, keep a record of it. So now if your score jumps +5 WAIT. Something unusual just happened. WHY? Now you found a new way to raise scores. Knowing if you paid your UTL back down and waited 12 months you now have a score of 845. See how it works. Knowing is all you need. Actually keeping your score there all the time, wow totally unneccassary. What would be the point? That doesn't sound like fun at all. You can play the game no matter where your score is by looking for ways to imporve whether it's 500 up to 520 or 700 up to 710 ect. If you are at 740 you should know by now most of the changes that can happen so you don't even need the score up there.

If you were stressing over just having a high score all the time then that is no game. I don't see the point. What would it prove? Credit is not a trophy anymore than a perfect looking pizza is art. I eat my pizza and don't have trohpys on the wall. But I love pizza and enjoying the taste. I also love playing sports just to play. Never cared who won. Just like playing. So use your credit and just keep score. As long as you know you did it that's what counts. As far as the second or third home that is the real prize, again no prize in having anything. Just being happy is all that counts. It's not a competition or showing off what you have. Just enjoying something while you do it. You don't seem happy about chasing a perfect score. They why do it? I think you were chasing it for the wrong reason. But if you did enjoy it you can still play like I do. Forget the trophy. Maybe I don't understand. I had bought collectors items because I wanted them. My friends and family said wow how did you get that. Where are you going to store it? I said what? I ripped open the manufactures packaging and use it. What good is having something if you can't use it. Yea it won't ever be worth anything years later but I wanted it. I bought a few since they were never going to be sold again. This way when I used it up and had another to use. I am so much happier enjoying my toys rather than keeping them perfect in the attic somewhere. Another thing that I have is my base ball cards. They give me grief. I can't open the boxes because it will devalue them. So I have to carry them when I move and keep them perfect. Can you see how unhappy they make me. I wan't to sell them but it a pain to go throug them to list them for sale. So I don't look at them or sell them. This is kinda like your perfect credit score. Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a question for the OP. What would you do if you ever hit 850? If I hit 850 the game would be over and the fun that went with it.
Message 4 of 14
mborgens
Valued Member

Pizza, I assumed you would enter. I've followed your journey. I know yours is a short adventure, but for many the 820 and above land is a couple of decades of conservative living.

I haven't purchased a Vantage score since the 990. On the report it said my credit was higher than 99.10% of U.S. consumers. Who are the .9, and how are they higher? I've wonder if there could be a way to raise within the .9 that are crushing my score.

In order to get close to the .9 club I've led a very conservative financial life. My last craziness was a larger purchase from Amazon. I was tempted to open a credit card because of the 24 months with no interest. Instead, I spent a lot of time talking to a bunch of people in India who had no idea why the bizarre American asking about hard and soft pulls to open a line of credit.

I guess my boring point is balance. The .9 club is filled with a lot of people with OCD who spend a lot of time talking with people from India while wondering who is in the .4 club.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prior to all this a few years ago, my credit scores were all very close to 800. It's not something I specifically attempted to achieve, but rather, a result of my financial habits. Right now, I'm at 650, only because of my excellent past and current good accounts, and after a recent settlement to the only CO, and low balances on my other cards, I'm sure I'll be in the 700's again very soon. Quite frankly, at this point, I have all the credit cards I want, have some nice vehicles, etc., and do not really need much...yet, want some higher credit card limits. Personally, give me mid to upper 700's (which is sure to happen with the way I handle my finances), and I am an extremely happy person. Although something very neat and nice to accomplish, I'm convinced folks can get anything they can have at 850 with a score in the 700's. I think one should just be happy with a score in the mid-upper 700's and lower the stress caused by trying to master this crazy FICO system Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 14
marty56
Super Contributor

mborgens wrote:

I have to wait about 4 more years for 800+ scores unless my BofA account gets deleted or FICO08 is nice to me.  I was able to get my goal of a new car loan with the best rate my CU offers with my current scores and thats the only credit I can see now for the next 5 years.

LOL after 800, I might be tempted to apply for a BofA card and maybe be the first person with a 800+ score to be turned down by them.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

@mborgens wrote:

I have to wait about 4 more years for 800+ scores unless my BofA account gets deleted or FICO08 is nice to me. I was able to get my goal of a new car loan with the best rate my CU offers with my current scores and thats the only credit I can see now for the next 5 years.
LOL after 800, I might be tempted to apply for a BofA card and maybe be the first person with a 800+ score to be turned down by them.

This is another thing I really like; even just in the 600's, two of my vehicles are refinanced at 5%, I have some credit cards with just 8%...I think the highest is like 10%, or so? Not the absolute lowest rates, but, good, given the circumstances. As long as we can get the things we want, I think we're good to go...
Message 8 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

One thing for sure, this can be addicting. I am not sure I can ever get to 850, however I have almost become obsessed with trying to see how quickly I can get my scores up!!
Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, managing my credit score is strictly a means to an end. All I want is a score over 750 or so to enable me to get a mortgage at prime rates. Beyond that, it doesn't really matter. It's a tool, nothing more.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.