Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think I'm stuck at a sub 800 score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think I'm stuck at a sub 800 score

Credit score use to be 810-815 a few years ago.

It's dropped to 790-800 the past year.

Always pay off my card in full every month.  Did have 2 accounts close for non-use about two years ago (both fairly aged accounts) and I'm late 20s so that could be a reason.

Credit report reasons affecting my credit says:

(1) lack recent loan infomation.  own my house and car, so I don't need a loan for anything, obviously not going to get a loan if I don't need one.

(2) too many cards with balances.  have 6 cards, 3 of them I need to rep the full rewards, the other 3 I don't need, I get better rewards on my main three.  But these three I don't need, I slapped small reoccuring monthly charges ($20-$50) so they stay used and don't close.  Should I remove these reoccuring charges from these three cards and just keep them in my back pocket and use them once every blue moon, like once every 6 months so they don't close?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Think I'm stuck at a sub 800 score

Yes preferably just put a charge on them once every 6 to 12 months and let them report to zero. That will help.

Also you can have two out of the other three report zero.

As for loans if you want extra points look up the SSL trick.
Message 2 of 18
Medic981
Valued Contributor

With FICO scores greater than 760, you are going to get the same interest rate as someone with an 850 FICO score.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah your scores are high enough that you’re not gonna have any problems with anything because of it. you should qualify for everything.
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same problem - as soon as I get into the 800 Club FICO finds a reason to kick me out. I started a thread called "FICO is Psychotic" that describes it. Microscopic changes in my Credit Card balances seem to have absolutely outsized effects on my scores. The same act raises a score on one bureau and lowers the score on another Bureau. FICO scoring is surely Psychotic and you can go crazy trying to anticipate the effects of any action you might take.

Message 5 of 18
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

@ medic981 , not sure how true that is ...example me and my wife recently applied for the amex bce card my score once they sent me the paper work was 777 and hers 791 we both got a 18.49% yet there best advertise rate it 14.49 ? I believe a 800 and above would have netted the 14.49% . Just my experience.

Message 6 of 18
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Should I remove these reoccuring charges from these three cards and just keep them in my back pocket and use them once every blue moon, like once every 6 months so they don't close?

Or just pay them off before the statement cuts so they report zero balances even though they are being used.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fico82 do you both have the same number of inquiries and new accounts with in the last 12 months? And 24 months?

That can also play a role in APR‘s. I got the best rate on my CSP but a couple months later they gave me a higher rate on the Freedom even though my scores were still pretty. I chalk it up to the fact that I had the recent card opening and also a loan opening.
Message 8 of 18
dragontears
Senior Contributor

In my experience, APR on new cards is directly related to credit seeking behavior in a negative way no matter what you score is. The more frequently you open new cards the worse APR you get
Message 9 of 18
Fico82
Frequent Contributor

@birdman7 , yes we both had 0 inq under experian... As for new accounts we got a auto loan back in August 2019. We both got one inq under transunion being that was what the credit union pulled. Our profiles are almost the same . I believe 800 + is the mark for amex best rate.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.