Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time lapsed since derogs

tag
krielly
Established Contributor

Time lapsed since derogs

I know that derogs and public records are said to have less of an impact on your score the more time passes.

My question is this.. Is this a yearly thing. Do they actually have less of an impact specific yearly marks??

Thanks in advance.

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time lapsed since derogs

All I can say is after "2" years, serious derogs have less of an impact on FICO scores. After that, its a guessing game for just about everyone. FICO scoring has a TON of moving parts.

Message 2 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree with fused.  FICO is a proprietary scoring algorithm, and details of its inner workings are, for obvious reasons, not published.

All remain, in some fashion, for up to 7 years.

All we can really go upon are anecdotal experiences.

We only have a few specific, factual statements from Fair Isaac.

FICO scoring is primarily an attempt to rate your risk of becoming delinquent within the next two years.  When any projections, including those made by the Fair Isaac gurus, stretch beyond two years, they begin to enter the realm of psychic prediction rather than scientific analysis.

From my experiences, and what I have seen reported on this site over the years, this is my subjective opinion on the effect of derogs.

Everyone wants numbers, so here is my opinion.

When you first go 30-days late, the initial FICO hit seems to be around 20 points.  It seems to then decay at a linear rate of appox. 1/2 point a month.  This is a minor derog.  After 3-4 years, it has little remaining effect.

When you first go 60-days late, the intial FICO hit seems to rise to around 30 points.  This is the first of the major derogs.

60 day lates, from my experience, also seems to decay at about 1/2 point a month.  But many on here have reported that after two years, the effect of 60-day lates becomes the same as a 30-day late, so at 2 years, is probably hitting you for around 14 points, then continuing to decay at approx 1/2 point a month.

When you go 90+-days late, you are in the realm of serious major derogs.  Probably an intitial hit of around 40 points, and then decaying, linearly, at around 1/2 point a month, up to their termination at 7 years.

Collections, charge-offs, and public records, also being major derogs, seem to decay at about the same rate.

But, as fused has said, it becomes very complicated.  Depending upon your scoring bucket (which algorithm FICO assigns you to), the weigthing of payment history can vary markedly.  For example, one with a credit history of 20 years is scored, with otherwise identical derogs, different than one with only a one year credit history.

This may confuse more than help, but one thing is certain, at least to me.  Any derog has substantial short-term effect, and the decay of their effect is probably less than one point a month as they age.  No magic numbers.

What may have more significance in your CR when a creditor views it is the status of the derog debt.  FICO, being a predictor of the likelihood of missing debt payment, does not score old derogs any differently whether paid or unpaid.  A prior missed payment is still a prior derog.  But a potential creditor will frown deepily on an unpaid debt.  It is not all just about FICO.

My opinions only.

Message 3 of 12
1gr8deal
Valued Member

Does the "  last reported date" have an effect on the time lapsed since derogatory? In other words if an account is disputed and verified when the  CRA changes the "last reported date" will that make the derogatory item score as more recent than it was before the dispute?

Message 4 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@1gr8deal wrote:

Does the "  last reported date" have an effect on the time lapsed since derogatory? In other words if an account is disputed and verified when the  CRA changes the "last reported date" will that make the derogatory item score as more recent than it was before the dispute?

Yes, it will with Equifax.

Message 5 of 12
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I have 4, almost  six year old medical collections that I will never ever pay. They have not reported anything new in over 4 years, but there they sit.

My score with Transunion has not moved a single point in over a year, while scores from both other agencies fluctuate up and down, and are both almost 100 points higher than TU.

MY TU score has been 683 every single time I have checked it, (735 to 774 on the other agencies) and I check alot. It had not moved from 683..not a point. 

My available credit has gotten to about 55% - it was about 75% but I had a card close on me for inavtivity back when the credit card companies were shedding people left and right. That one card had a big limit on it, and was just there in case of medical emergencies. Killing it made my usage look high.

I have 1 inquiry and a good mix of accounts. If anyone ever told me that time makes a difference I would beg to differ.

I have never had a late pay on any account, just those 4 medical collections that I would think mean nothing by now. 

I think that these are all scams anymore and they get money from suckers anyway they can. With all of the super secret models, and talk of just paying on time etc etc is bogus crud in my opinion. 

I don't need any credit thank goodness, have a house and cars and such, but if I did, I would have to hope that TU would be tossed in the trash and the other scores used to evaluate me.

Message 6 of 12
1gr8deal
Valued Member

That appears to be a punishment from EQ for daring to dispute anything with them. Seems to me that the FCRA should have something to say about that as there is nothing  FAIR about using that changed date to determine your score.

Message 7 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Chris123nTx wrote:

I have 4, almost  six year old medical collections that I will never ever pay. They have not reported anything new in over 4 years, but there they sit.

My score with Transunion has not moved a single point in over a year, while scores from both other agencies fluctuate up and down, and are both almost 100 points higher than TU.

MY TU score has been 683 every single time I have checked it, (735 to 774 on the other agencies) and I check alot. It had not moved from 683..not a point. 

My available credit has gotten to about 55% - it was about 75% but I had a card close on me for inavtivity back when the credit card companies were shedding people left and right. That one card had a big limit on it, and was just there in case of medical emergencies. Killing it made my usage look high.

I have 1 inquiry and a good mix of accounts. If anyone ever told me that time makes a difference I would beg to differ.

I have never had a late pay on any account, just those 4 medical collections that I would think mean nothing by now. 

I think that these are all scams anymore and they get money from suckers anyway they can. With all of the super secret models, and talk of just paying on time etc etc is bogus crud in my opinion. 

I don't need any credit thank goodness, have a house and cars and such, but if I did, I would have to hope that TU would be tossed in the trash and the other scores used to evaluate me.

Where did you get your scores from? Which site?

Message 8 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@1gr8deal wrote:

That appears to be a punishment from EQ for daring to dispute anything with them. Seems to me that the FCRA should have something to say about that as there is nothing  FAIR about using that changed date to determine your score.

I agree 100%!!!!!!!!!! There might be problems with all of this. I don't think FICO has anything to do with the FCRA. 

Message 9 of 12
1gr8deal
Valued Member

So I submitted a complaint to the FTC and I hope that all others who read this will also. I for one am so tired of being bullied by this company.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.