Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion FICO8 treats INQ differently EXPLAINED

tag
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Transunion FICO8 treats INQ differently EXPLAINED

I utilize Discover to check my TU scorecard within my account and also their creditscorecard.com to see my EX scorecard.

I also utilize experian.com which offers the same scorecard for all 3 bureaus. The common factor is that they all use FICO8 model.

With EQ and EX I noticed that when checking the new credit portion it shows the correct number of inquires in the last 12 months but with TU the number is usually much lower that the actual number of inquires in last 12 months on credit report. I tried to check historical TU scorecards on my accounts but couldn't figure out how they come up with "number of recent inquires". Keep in mind that this number is important cause that's what the FICO8 model uses for it's calculations so if you actually have 5 inquires in the last 12 months but your TU scorecard shows 3, you will get penalized for 3 only.

=======================================================

Update: here is the explanation, pull your TU credit report and organize INQ by date and disregard all INQ older than a year. Starting with the oldest inquiry date count 45 days forward and if any newer inquiries fall in that period they will be bundeled with the older inquiry. Once your are done move on to the next inquiry and do the same until all inquiries in the last year are accounted for and this is how they calculate the number of INQs on your scorecard. Note that inquiries for different types of credit are not bundeled. What's interesting is that EX and EQ do that with auto loan and mortgage inquiries but TU also does it with credit cards.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Transunion FICO8 treats INQ differently !

My discover score card has always had the incorrect number of inquiries ( i have had like 5 for over a year YEAH RIGHT), but my actual TU report shows the correct amount 19 and the score is the same on both sites.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup. Disco scorecard is buggy. 

Message 3 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

I don't use the Discover TU scorecard, I use the MyFICO 3 bureau reports. And I think it's true that TU aggregates some inquiries together which EQ and EX do not aggregate.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 32
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Discover scorecard is not buggy. Both Discover and Experian scorecards for TU show the samething.

This is about TU itself and I am not sure if the same applies to all TU scores or just FICO8

Message 5 of 32
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Discover scorecard is buggy 

It shows I have 2 HPs in the last year, but I have 4. Two by Chase, and two by US bank at the time of the last SP. 

It groups HPs by issuer. 

How TU scores them is whole another story because I did not lose a single point for the last 4 HPs  on TU or EX. 

Message 6 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

It shows I have 2 HPs in the last year, but I have 4. Two by Chase, and two by US bank at the time of the last SP. 

It groups HPs by issuer. 

How TU scores them is whole another story because I did not lose a single point for the last 4 HPs  on TU or EX. 

Exactly. TU aggregates them in a way that EX and EQ do not. But it's not the Discover scorecard, it's TU itself.

Also, you do not have enough data to jump to the conclusion that it aggregates them by issuer. Neither you nor I know the basis for the aggregation.

Under your hypothesis, my inquiries would be counted as 4, since there are 5 from a total of 4 issuers. But in fact TU counts them as 2.

My guess at this point -- I hesitate to call it a hypothesis -- is that it has to do with the way the inquiry is coded; I frequently have inquiries coded as "installment loan inquiries" even though they have nothing to do with installment loans. Invariably they are related to credit card applications, credit limit increase applications, or credit union membership applications.

Message 7 of 32
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

It groups HPs by issuer. 

Exactly. TU aggregates them in a way that EX and EQ do not. But it's not the Discover scorecard, it's TU itself.

Also, you do not have enough data to jump to the conclusion that it aggregates them by issuer. Neither you nor I know the basis for the aggregation.

Under your hypothesis, my inquiries would be counted as 4, since there are 5 from a total of 4 issuers. But in fact TU counts them as 2.

My guess at this point -- I hesitate to call it a hypothesis -- is that it has to do with the way the inquiry is coded; I frequently have inquiries coded as "installment loan inquiries" even though they have nothing to do with installment loans. Invariably they are related to credit card applications, credit limit increase applications, or credit union membership applications.

Both Chase and US Bank pulls show as Banks and S&Ls under *Type* for TU. 

I'm assuming S&L stands for savings and loans 

US Bank HPs are not on EX, but Chase ones are, and those are under *Bank Credit Cards* type 

Message 8 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

It groups HPs by issuer. 

Both Chase and US Bank pulls show as Banks and S&Ls under *Type* for TU. 

I'm assuming S&L stands for savings and loans 

US Bank HPs are not on EX, but Chase ones are, and those are under *Bank Credit Cards* type 

Like I say, I don't know the basis for TU's aggregation of inquiries, I can only guess.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s definitely messed up for me. 

0E067E5C-2930-49A7-A363-6F4BBD492FBF.png

757D5258-6144-4EE5-BDA1-B47EEFC33509.jpeg

5 inquiries versus 9.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.