Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion Fico Score

tag
Schmoopy
New Contributor

Re: Transunion Fico Score

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd also add that a FICO 8 score of 696 suggests the presence of either negative information present on your CR or high utilization.  If whichever one it is can be rectified, doing so prior to apping would yield much more favorable results.

The 696 is from 9/19 and the rest are from the past week.

I did pay off big chunk of credit card debt since so I think that's why there's a difference.

I wonder what it'll show in the next BofA update but I'll do the $1 for all 3 fico scores in the meantime.

8/2017 Experian 684 | 11/2017 Transunion 640 | 10/25/2018 Experian 784, Transunion 711, Equifax 707 | 11/1/2018 Experian 797, Transunion 709, Equifax 709 | 2/20/2021 Experian 744, Transunion 716, Equifax 703 | 1/29/2022 Experian 695, Transunion 700, Equifax 700 | 6/11/2022 Experian 792, Transunion 749, Equifax 742 | 8/4/2022 Experian 757, Transunion 782, Equifax 745 | 3/22/2023 Experian 817, Transunion 825, Equifax 827
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was your overall utilization with the 696 score and what is your overall utilization now?  Based on the difference, I and others can probably ballpark your expected score gain.

Message 12 of 22
Schmoopy
New Contributor

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

Got you, thanks. Thanks for explaining.

On chase Credit Journey (Vantage score powered by TU) I have 746 updated 10/18.

On Credit Karma my TU says 747 updated 10/22. On sep it was 733 and then 657.

On BofA website it is fico score based on TU and it's 696 but it was updated 9/19.

The reason I'm asking this, is that I want to apply for a credit card that most likely pulls a TU fico score and I'm trying to figure out if *now* is a good time to do that since on the looks of it, it has just improved (I paid off debt and my CL increased).

Thanks

The simple solution is that you need to get your FICO 8 scores from the three credit bureaus; commonly referred to in these forums as your 3B scores.  You currently have a monthly-old TransUnion FICO Score 8 from Bank of America but things could have changed since then.  The least costly way to get your 3B scores is through CreditCheckTotal.com.  You pay $1 for a trial subscription which allows you to obtain your scores twice in the 10-day trial; just be sure to cancel the trial subscription before the 10 day period expires.

The reason you need your FICO 8 scores is because the Vantage Scores provided by websites like Credit Karma are not used by lenders to make credit decisions.  So having your FICO 8 scores will allow you to decide if you're in a position to apply.

Ok, got you. Perfect, I'll do the Creditchecktotal.com and see what it says!

Thank you very much.

Ok, I did the creditchecktotal check as you suggested.

Experian - 784

TU - 711

Equifax - 707

8/2017 Experian 684 | 11/2017 Transunion 640 | 10/25/2018 Experian 784, Transunion 711, Equifax 707 | 11/1/2018 Experian 797, Transunion 709, Equifax 709 | 2/20/2021 Experian 744, Transunion 716, Equifax 703 | 1/29/2022 Experian 695, Transunion 700, Equifax 700 | 6/11/2022 Experian 792, Transunion 749, Equifax 742 | 8/4/2022 Experian 757, Transunion 782, Equifax 745 | 3/22/2023 Experian 817, Transunion 825, Equifax 827
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

On BofA website it is fico score based on TU and it's 696 but it was updated 9/19.

The reason I'm asking this, is that I want to apply for a credit card that most likely pulls a TU fico score and I'm trying to figure out if *now* is a good time to do that since on the looks of it, it has just improved (I paid off debt and my CL increased).

Thanks

The simple solution is that you need to get your FICO 8 scores from the three credit bureaus; commonly referred to in these forums as your 3B scores.  You currently have a monthly-old TransUnion FICO Score 8 from Bank of America but things could have changed since then.  The least costly way to get your 3B scores is through CreditCheckTotal.com.  You pay $1 for a trial subscription which allows you to obtain your scores twice in the 10-day trial; just be sure to cancel the trial subscription before the 10 day period expires.

The reason you need your FICO 8 scores is because the Vantage Scores provided by websites like Credit Karma are not used by lenders to make credit decisions.  So having your FICO 8 scores will allow you to decide if you're in a position to apply.

Thank you very much.

Experian - 784

TU - 711

Equifax - 707

Those are good scores although I'd be concerned about the variance between Experian  and the other two bureaus.  THere has to be a reason for that significant difference.  I'm thinking that whatever payments you made are updated on Experian but not on TU and EQ; you can verify by doing a side-by-side comparison of the accounts  on CreditCheckTotal.

Also remember that you can still get another score 7-10 days from now but you need to cancel by the 10th day to avoid getting hit with the full monthly fee.

Message 14 of 22
Schmoopy
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

Thanks

Thank you very much.

Experian - 784

TU - 711

Equifax - 707

Those are good scores although I'd be concerned about the variance between Experian  and the other two bureaus.  THere has to be a reason for that significant difference.  I'm thinking that whatever payments you made are updated on Experian but not on TU and EQ; you can verify by doing a side-by-side comparison of the accounts  on CreditCheckTotal.

Also remember that you can still get another score 7-10 days from now but you need to cancel by the 10th day to avoid getting hit with the full monthly fee.

Thank you very much for all the help!

Yes, I put a calendar notification to cancel the membership on Nov 1st, couple of days before the 10 days mark. Thanks for the tip.

You are right, I was just looking at the table with the 3 credit bureaus - I took a student loan 7 years ago and I had late payments.

This appears on TU and EQ but for some reason doesn't appear on the EX report, hence the discrepancy. Not much I can do about that besides wait until they come off the report (late payments were 2015, so it's there until 2022 I'm afraid).

I started all these checks since I need a card with no FTF and nice travel rewards as I import goods from Europe and travel there couple of times a year for my business. Most of my purchases are regular so I need a card with either X1.5 or X2 points for regular purchases.

So in light of my FICO scores, when it comes to approval odds, which card will have best chances to be approved Between Capita One Venture, Barclay's Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard and BofA Travel Rewards card? I think I'll apply to one of those which gives me the best approval odds. Guess it's the latter...

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Schmoopy wrote:

Thanks

Thank you very much.

Experian - 784

TU - 711

Equifax - 707

Thank you very much for all the help!

Yes, I put a calendar notification to cancel the membership on Nov 1st, couple of days before the 10 days mark. Thanks for the tip.

You are right, I was just looking at the table with the 3 credit bureaus - I took a student loan 7 years ago and I had late payments.

This appears on TU and EQ but for some reason doesn't appear on the EX report, hence the discrepancy. Not much I can do about that besides wait until they come off the report (late payments were 2015, so it's there until 2022 I'm afraid).

I started all these checks since I need a card with no FTF and nice travel rewards as I import goods from Europe and travel there couple of times a year for my business. Most of my purchases are regular so I need a card with either X1.5 or X2 points for regular purchases.

So in light of my FICO scores, when it comes to approval odds, which card will have best chances to be approved Between Capita One Venture, Barclay's Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard and BofA Travel Rewards card? I think I'll apply to one of those which gives me the best approval odds. Guess it's the latter...

Have you looked at cards issued by Citi?  They have several no FTF cards.  Amex pulls Experian only and would give the best credit limit based on your EX score but their cards aren't widely accepted in Europe.  I'd say go with the BofA card with the understanding that if you already have a relationship with them and you're already "maxed out" on the amount of credit they are willing to provide; they will move a part of your credit line from the old account to the new one.

Message 16 of 22
Schmoopy
New Contributor

@Anonymous

Have you looked at cards issued by Citi?  They have several no FTF cards.  Amex pulls Experian only and would give the best credit limit based on your EX score but their cards aren't widely accepted in Europe.  I'd say go with the BofA card with the understanding that if you already have a relationship with them and you're already "maxed out" on the amount of credit they are willing to provide; they will move a part of your credit line from the old account to the new one.

I have an Amex Gold with a $50K spending limit. I use it when I'm in Europe but they can't charge it remotely. They can only do visa or mastercard remotely.

I looked at Citi cards (for example, the Costco card) but didn't find any with X1.5 or X2 for regular purchases. I also don't have a relationship with Citi Bank.

Yes, I think BofA might be the best option for now, and my banker just suggested that today (move the credit line from the old credit card and even close it - I don't need it if I get the travel rewards). You could be a banker Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schmoopy wrote:

@Anonymous

I have an Amex Gold with a $50K spending limit. I use it when I'm in Europe but they can't charge it remotely. They can only do visa or mastercard remotely.

I looked at Citi cards (for example, the Costco card) but didn't find any with X1.5 or X2 for regular purchases. I also don't have a relationship with Citi Bank.

Yes, I think BofA might be the best option for now, and my banker just suggested that today (move the credit line from the old credit card and even close it - I don't need it if I get the travel rewards). You could be a banker Smiley Happy

What's your average age of accounts and your 5/24 status?  A Chase card could be a viable option too.

No, I definitely couldn't be a banker.

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, nice job getting your 3 FICO 8 scores as suggested. Like MiB, I'm curious as to why there's a 70-80 point variance between your TU/EQ scores and your EX score. I still don't think you've told us your before and after utilization. For utilization to be the difference here, it would mean near maxed out utilization reported for TU/EQ and ideal utilization for EX. While not out of the question, that does seem a bit unlikely. Do you have a negative item present on your two reports that is not there on your Experian report?
Message 19 of 22
Schmoopy
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
OP, nice job getting your 3 FICO 8 scores as suggested. Like MiB, I'm curious as to why there's a 70-80 point variance between your TU/EQ scores and your EX score. I still don't think you've told us your before and after utilization. For utilization to be the difference here, it would mean near maxed out utilization reported for TU/EQ and ideal utilization for EX. While not out of the question, that does seem a bit unlikely. Do you have a negative item present on your two reports that is not there on your Experian report?

I answered this above..:

I took a student loan 7 years ago and I had late payments.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.