cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion fico8 vs fico4 scoring differences.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion fico8 vs fico4 scoring differences.

Can anyone tell me or refer me to a post that explains their scoring differences? Paid utilization down from 48% to 2% and the fico8 moved 5 points and now I'm scared to buy a new report to check the mortgage score. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Re: Transunion fico8 vs fico4 scoring differences.

Greetings Nmghjg . . . I'm hoping that our scoring expert Birdman7 and others will chime-in. I believe there's a lot that factors into the scoring ~ utilization, on-time payments, account balances, and other credit history is taken into account when calculating your score. I'm still learning about scoring calculations -but- I hope this helps. Experts ~ please correct me if I stated anything incorrectly. Thanks!!!

FICO Model   

Description

FICO 8

Most common. Used for Auto and Bankcard lending.

FICO 4

Used by mortgage lenders. Built on data from TransUnion.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 2 of 6
KatSoDak
Frequent Contributor

There are quite a few threads on this subject. I'll link an older one that has some good info:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/How-to-increase-my-Fico-Scores-Used-for-...

My takeaway from this regarding your scoring change questions is you may need to wait for the update on FICO 4.  I don't subscribe so don't know how often the full reports update. 

FICO 8:

EQ FICO 9 - 770
EX FICO 9 - 758

Citi (2) | Discover | HSBC | BOA | NFCU (2) | WF (2) | Simmons Bank | FNBO (2) | PENFED | BBVA | US Bank | Lowes | Care Credit | Home Depot AU
Message 3 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone tell me or refer me to a post that explains their scoring differences? Paid utilization down from 48% to 2% and the fico8 moved 5 points and now I'm scared to buy a new report to check the mortgage score. 

There's no direct correlation between the two algorithms.

But if you are talking about aggregate revolving utilization, and have lowered it from 48% to 2%, you should see a very substantial gain in TU FICO 4. Unfortunately, you have to spend the money to buy a TU report from MyFICO to find out.

I should add that the mortgage scores, like TU 4, are very sensitive to number of accounts with balance.  So it's better to have as many zero balances as possible, than to spread the balances out among multiple accounts.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But if you are talking about aggregate revolving utilization, and have lowered it from 48% to 2%, you should see a very substantial gain in TU FICO 4. Unfortunately, you have to spend the money to buy a TU report from MyFICO to find out.

I should add that the mortgage scores, like TU 4, are very sensitive to number of accounts with balance.  So it's better to have as many zero balances as possible, than to spread the balances out among multiple accounts.

So I decided to just buy the transunion report and you are correct. Only saw a 4 point gain with the fico8 but the fico 4 score saw a 40 point gain. 

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I decided to just buy the transunion report and you are correct. Only saw a 4 point gain with the fico8 but the fico 4 score saw a 40 point gain. 

Awesome. Congratulations.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.