Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected score jump with accounts reporting balances

tag
BobbyInCO
New Contributor

Unexpected score jump with accounts reporting balances

I had a curious score jump of 15 points on my Experian and wasn't expecting it.

Usually I will pay in full each month before statement cuts but let a couple report a small balance to keep my overall utilization at about 1-2%. Since I'm not headed for a mortgage soon, I decided to just let them report and take advantage of the grace period. After a couple of weeks, 13 of my 20 accounts had a reported balance but overall utilization is about the same (tiny bit higher at just over 2%). No aging milestones in the works & no baddies on report or fallen off, but I do have one new inquiry for US Bank where the new account is not yet reported.

I am curious about the number of accounts with balances and how it affects a score. I frequently saw that reason on credit scores as a negative so was expecting my score to go down not up with the balances spread across accounts.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Unexpected score jump with accounts reporting balances

I think your +15 points came from some other activity besides increasing the number of accounts reporting a balance.

Message 2 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BobbyInCO wrote:

I had a curious score jump of 15 points on my Experian and wasn't expecting it.

Usually I will pay in full each month before statement cuts but let a couple report a small balance to keep my overall utilization at about 1-2%. Since I'm not headed for a mortgage soon, I decided to just let them report and take advantage of the grace period. After a couple of weeks, 13 of my 20 accounts had a reported balance but overall utilization is about the same (tiny bit higher at just over 2%). No aging milestones in the works & no baddies on report or fallen off, but I do have one new inquiry for US Bank where the new account is not yet reported.

I am curious about the number of accounts with balances and how it affects a score. I frequently saw that reason on credit scores as a negative so was expecting my score to go down not up with the balances spread across accounts.

Sometimes it costs a few points, especially in the mortgage scores. As @AllZero points out, an increase in accounts with balances would not cause an increase in scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 7
BobbyInCO
New Contributor

I think I found what caused the jump. I had an account that aged to 1 year on 2/19. I thought I had no aging issues coming up, but missed that one.

Message 4 of 7
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations! AoYA reaching one year is in line with reported 15 point increase.
Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Get less than 50% of your cards reporting a balance and that will help also.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prepare to give those points back when that US credit card hits, at least for a year +AAOA points, if you crossed a threshold.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.