Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained FICO Score Drop

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Unexplained FICO Score Drop

The OPs original post said FICO no mention of vantage . 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 21 of 26
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not all.  I still have balances on four cards.  Do you think it could be that I paid off the smallest balances first, leaving only cards with over 30% utilization on?  Is that really on a card to card basis, and not aggregate?

Now it makes sense with Vantage @Anonymous . Anyway. That 30% stuff is an internet farse. For best scoring have all cards report 0% and have 1 report <8%. As we say around these parts AZEO. All Zero Except One. FICO bonus. Use your cards all you want. If you can do it follow AZEO. JMO paying interest is throwing $ away. And if you have cash back cards. Paying interest is paying the cash back you earned. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Now it makes sense with Vantage @Anonymous . Anyway. That 30% stuff is an internet farse. For best scoring have all cards report 0% and have 1 report <8%. As we say around these parts AZEO. All Zero Except One. FICO bonus. Use your cards all you want. If you can do it follow AZEO. JMO paying interest is throwing $ away. And if you have cash back cards. Paying interest is paying the cash back you earned. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Thank you.  That is my plan.  I'm only a couple months from being AZEO. 

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I DID IT!

I just paid every spare nickel I could manage until I slowly got my FICO 8 up to 766, talked to my current mortgage lender, and set up a refi at 1.99%. 15 year fixed!  Good riddance old FHA mortage 4.125% with PMI and 23 years left...and it only raised my payment 40 dollars a month.

And within a week of doing that, I got a surpise from my company that they were giving me a YUGE bonus.  So today, I completely paid off my last two cards.  I almost can't believe I've actually gotten here.  I can't wait to join the ranks of the 800+...although now I don't need it as much lol.

This site is great and has helped me so much.

Message 24 of 26
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats @Anonymous ! Bring on the new home.

Message 25 of 26
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I DID IT!

I just paid every spare nickel I could manage until I slowly got my FICO 8 up to 766, talked to my current mortgage lender, and set up a refi at 1.99%. 15 year fixed!  Good riddance old FHA mortage 4.125% with PMI and 23 years left...and it only raised my payment 40 dollars a month.

And within a week of doing that, I got a surpise from my company that they were giving me a YUGE bonus.  So today, I completely paid off my last two cards.  I almost can't believe I've actually gotten here.  I can't wait to join the ranks of the 800+...although now I don't need it as much lol.

This site is great and has helped me so much.

Congrats @Anonymous. Beware of all zero balances on your credit cards, especially if your mortgage lender pulls another report right before closing (sounds like your closing is pending). You'll notice a score drop once they all report $0 balance. I'd let ONE card report a small balance. The "mortgage" scores really like this. GL

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.