Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up Down Up Down?? Wha???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Up Down Up Down?? Wha???

OK  in the past few days I have gotten weird SW alerts

on Friday Down 56 pts then today up 56 pts...whast going on? 

Nothing on the SW alert was definitive of what made things change and then change again? 

Dont tell me EQ is busted...Im right in the middle of a refi loan process and its my BEST score!!!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Up Down Up Down?? Wha???

Do you have a thick file?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I dont think so

17 accts 9 open 3 showing a balance
Avg age 8 yrs 6 months
no collections
no public records
no lates
NO BADDIES OF ANY KIND

very limited (3 as of Friday-new refi app) Inquiries

a fair amount of promo inquiries including about 1 ever four days from TC monitoring my TU that I initiated

Message 3 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

I know that score jumps and drops of the same point value has been linked to file splits with EQ in the past. Terrible time for it to happen.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Could also be a reclassification of an account. I have one 7 yr old CO that shows $0, but it changes its status for some weird reason twice a month. It will go from collection/CO to 120 + days late and then back and then forth and so on. When it goes to 120 days late, a 120 day late get added in 9/07. Then it goes back to collection/co and the late deletes. Weird. But my score swings 32 points typically back and forth several times since January. I'll post a picture here of EQ if it swings again when I pull the reports tomorrow.

I did get a SW alert last week saying that EQ dropped to 610. However, pulled TC today and is was updated again to collection/co and the late was again deleted so I expect to gain the points back. I won't touch it because it is set to delete likely in June. Already off on TU and EX.
Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Print out both EQ reports (high score and low score) and go through with a yellow highlighter. Something is either appearing and vanishing OR is changing status to cause this. Highlight every difference, no matter how trivial it seems.

Then call EQ PDQ. I have their Credit Watch Gold, which comes with a phone number to real, live human beings:
  • 1-866-640-CARE (1-866-640-2273), 7 days a week between the hours of 8:00am - 3:00am Eastern Time Zone
  • I don't know if you can fast-talk your way past not being a customer, but at least it's a number.

As ByrdMan said, it sounds an awful lot like a split file, although it could very well be what llecs was describing as well. Do you already have a face-to-face relationship with whoever's doing your re-fi? If so, I would print out your scores and reports for both scores, and see if they're willing to go with the higher one. Lenders ought to be familiar with this increasingly common problem with EQ. (It happens from both thick files getting too big for their alloted size and from frequent score monitoring pulls.)

I hope you can find someone with common sense who can evaluate your situation and see what is happening, whatever that is.
    * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 6 of 8
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Ok now Im freaked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what a split file is, I think....but how does it effect score? Should I be freaked?  What does a spilt file do for scores?  I cant be the only one, esp with my limited and according to my reports- Whats Hurting Your Scores-short credit history

My TC pulls have been about 1 every four days from 3/4/08 to 4/6/08...so actually not that many.  Once I got where I needed I stopped pulling

My broker is a  good friend so there wont be any probs that I could think of , unless Im NOT thinking the right things...am I????

She already pulled my report and will use the same report number  for the whole refi process

735 was my score when she pulled on Fri but I got the alert for SW drop -56 pts late Fri night and the alert for the SW increase +56 pts today early morning. So it went from 735 to 679 back to 735 in   1 weekend

ARGH....I HATE Mondays!!!  ANy help woudl be appreciated-and thanks for the # Ill try it but have to wait as Im on Mountain Standard Time

Message Edited by madameozzie on 04-14-2008 03:50 PM
    Message 7 of 8
    haulingthescoreup
    Moderator Emerita

A split file occurs when there is so much data in your file that the next input "breaks" it, and causes some of it to fall off. If this falling-off account has influence on your scores (it's good because it's old; it's bad because it has derogs), your scores will change.
    * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 8 of 8
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.