cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage decrease but score also decreased?

tag
CMoe20

Usage decrease but score also decreased?

Hey guys - I'm coming to the experts because I'm confused.

I'm in the midst of rebuilding my credit for a future home purchase so I'm obsessed with reading all of my alerts about score changes. I recently got an alert that noted my Macy's AMEX balance had decreased by $300 (because of a very intentional extra payment to lower the balance) attached to that alert was the fact that my Experian score dropped 15 points from a 675 to a 660. Any idea why those two would happen at the same time? For additional context that payment brought my utilization down to 56%. The goal is of course to get it below 30, but I'm confused about what just happened.

Thanks for any insight you may have!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Usage decrease but score also decreased?

The cause of the score drop and the reason for the alert were unrelated.  The alert was for the lowered balance and it also shared your EX score at that time.  However, the cause of the drop could have been anything that occurred between the alert date and the date of your previous EX score.  If you would like to post the source of your alert and scores and the full details of your profile before and after the change we can help you look for the likely cause of the drop.

Message 2 of 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Usage decrease but score also decreased?

MyFICO alerts don't provide reasons for a score change. There are certain events which trigger MyFICO alerts. If there happens to be any difference between your present score at that particular bureau and the previous score reported to you from that bureau, the score change is tacked on to the alert. There is not necessarily any connection at all between the score change and the alert substance.

MyFICO explains this in the "learn more" link contained in the alert:

"Why did my score go up when I got an alert for something negative (or why did my score go down when I got an alert for something positive)?
The short answer: Your FICO(TM) Score may change because of other events not monitored by an alert.
Whenever we send you a credit alert, we also send an updated FICO Score. To ensure you get the most current score, we calculate it based on your entire credit report at that point in time - not just the new information on the alert. This means your new score may reflect other changes that are outside of the things we watch for (see everything we monitor).
Sometimes you may see your score increase when you think it should've decreased, and vice-versa, but you'll always have your most up-to-date and accurate score."

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.