Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit monitoring services.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using credit monitoring services.

Currently the only credit monitoring service that I use is CK 717(which i understand is a vantage score that most lenders don't use) and the ones offered by credit cards (discover 740, Citi 740 , and soon FBNO as my account is only a few weeks old.  

I know CK Is great for the alert system for changes hard pulls etc.

I read here that people are obsessive about pulling their score, wanting to pull it daily etc.

my question is why is it necessary to check your fico number/credit report so frequently? 

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using credit monitoring services.

Maybe I should rephrase the question, as my question is asked purely out of interest and lack of knowledge. How often should someone check their report?
Message 2 of 4
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Currently the only credit monitoring service that I use is CK 717(which i understand is a vantage score that most lenders don't use) and the ones offered by credit cards (discover 740, Citi 740 , and soon FBNO as my account is only a few weeks old.  

I read here that people are obsessive about pulling their score, wanting to pull it daily etc.

my question is why is it necessary to check your fico number/credit report so frequently? 

Clearly you have not yet come down with the affliction yet.

Only those of us who OCD over the daily gyrations in our credit scores track them daily -- in fact we track them in real time as updates are reported.

Monthly tracking is just fine.  Every six months is also just fine.

For people actively working to fix their credit, get new cards, etc., getting scores up from the 500s to the 600s to 700 and utlimately 720 and 760 and higher becomes a kind of obsessive hobby.  I would be willling to bet you that most people who have truly excellent scores have no idea what their scores are at any given moment; they only hear of them every three years when they get a new auto loan or every 5 to 7 years when refinancing their mortgage.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Clearly you have not yet come down with the affliction yet.

Only those of us who OCD over the daily gyrations in our credit scores track them daily -- in fact we track them in real time as updates are reported.

Monthly tracking is just fine.  Every six months is also just fine.

For people actively working to fix their credit, get new cards, etc., getting scores up from the 500s to the 600s to 700 and utlimately 720 and 760 and higher becomes a kind of obsessive hobby.  I would be willling to bet you that most people who have truly excellent scores have no idea what their scores are at any given moment; they only hear of them every three years when they get a new auto loan or every 5 to 7 years when refinancing their mortgage.

LOL. I See I kind of figured that was the case. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something! 

Thank you for your response!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.