Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization Threshold Data Point

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization Threshold Data Point

Hey All,

I wanted to give you all a data point. Hopefully, it is helpful.  My mom, who has a very thick file, just lowered the utilization on the one revolving line that carries a balance below the 8.9% (or whatever the exact %).  Her Fico 8 through Experian went from 830 to 837.  I am an AU on the account and had a 2pt increase, not sure if it is related.  I can post the change to my dad's score after it reports if helpful.  It is a joint acct between the two.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Utilization Threshold Data Point

@Anonymous wrote:

My mom, who has a very thick file, just lowered the utilization on the one revolving line that carries a balance below the 8.9% (or whatever the exact %).  Her Fico 8 through Experian went from 830 to 837. 

I'm not clear on the balance change here.  It would be better if you listed the before and after balance and what the credit limit on the account is.  That will tell us the before/after utilization on that single account.  What matters more though of course is overall utilization, so we'd need to know the balances/limits on all of her accounts in order to begin to determine if in fact the single account you're speaking of was the cause for the score gain.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Saphire Prefered, February Balance $2,200; March Balance: $1,600; CL $25K; Current Total Revolving UTI: 2% ($80K total revolving); AAoA 25; AAoA 15.5

Message 3 of 7
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Adding to your data points:

My overall utilization went from 19% to 9% and I saw a 15 point increase. I paid off one card, which had an individual utilization of about 16%.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

My overall utilization went from 19% to 9% and I saw a 15 point increase. I paid off one card, which had an individual utilization of about 16%.

When you say you went to 9% aggregate utilization, what is the exact percentage out a couple of decimal places?  If you saw a 15 point increase, that's suggestive that you crossed the 8.9% threshold and that you actually came in slightly below 9%, but rounded up or any CMS software would likely display it as 9%.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase Saphire Prefered, February Balance $2,200; March Balance: $1,600; CL $25K; Current Total Revolving UTI: 2% ($80K total revolving); AAoA 25; AAoA 15.5

Her lowering the utilization on that card from 8.8% to 6.4% shouldn't have resulted in any score increase related to that individual account.  A score increase here could come from an aggregate utilization crossing though, but in order to determine that you'd have to look at all of her limits and balances before/after.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I looked at the wrong statement.  She went from $3.8K to $1.8K on the $25K limit.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.