Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization of a new card vs. FICO

tag
ChemE_Bear
Regular Contributor

Utilization of a new card vs. FICO

I understand the concept of AZEO for optimizing FICO scoring.  However, I have personally experienced score drops due to my only non-AU revolver reporting $0 balance (reason code: no recent revolving utilization, only one individual revolver and one AU revolver) and read that you should not have a new card reporting a $0 balance if you are looking to get any CLI in the future.  If utilization has no "memory" is the best practice for a new card to let it report a balance the first few months if you are not seeking credit and don't care about your FICO score dropping temporarily for increased utilization?  Is it better to have new cards report your actual monthly spend or is having it report a small amount like $5 sufficient to show usage? Do you alternate which cards report $0 to avoid appearing as if you are not using your revolving accounts?  I only have two cards currently (plus on AU card) and am not planning to apply for any new cards, CLI, or anything else that would require my score be "optimal".  My new AMEX is not reporting yet but is there any long-term impact or benefit to both of my young revolvers reporting a balance for the first few months? Is there a minimum number of months a new card should report a balance before I can go back to doing AZEO?

Fico8 1/20:
Fico8 02/22:
Fico8 9/23:
AU:
3 REPLIES 3
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Utilization of a new card vs. FICO

@ChemE_Bear wrote:

I understand the concept of AZEO for optimizing FICO scoring.  However, I have personally experienced score drops due to my only non-AU revolver reporting $0 balance (reason code: no recent revolving utilization, only one individual revolver and one AU revolver) and read that you should not have a new card reporting a $0 balance if you are looking to get any CLI in the future. 

That is not true

If utilization has no "memory" is the best practice for a new card to let it report a balance

No there's no need to do that

the first few months if you are not seeking credit and don't care about your FICO score dropping temporarily for increased utilization?  Is it better to have new cards report your actual monthly spend or is having it report a small amount like $5 sufficient to show usage?

Your balance doesn't show usage. They can tell what your usage is even if the reported balance is zero.

Do you alternate which cards report $0 to avoid appearing as if you are not using your revolving accounts? 

It's not necessary for that purpose. They can tell if you are using the account

I only have two cards currently (plus on AU card) and am not planning to apply for any new cards, CLI, or anything else that would require my score be "optimal". 

You never know when something might come up.. a cellphone contract, an apartment lease, car insurance, etc

My new AMEX is not reporting yet but is there any long-term impact or benefit to both of my young revolvers reporting a balance for the first few months?

No there is no long term effect one way or the other

Is there a minimum number of months a new card should report a balance before I can go back to doing AZEO?

No there's no need to report a balance

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have ran into the AU AZ penalty. Feel free to read the scoring primer linked at the of my thread for a full explanation.

To make it short you need a balance on your AU card and the primary card for proper AZEO execution.

SJ addressed the rest.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh and you need one more card as a primary. you need at least three to not be under penalty, five for best scores across the versions.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.