Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization question

I recently received my first card that gives me an actual FICO score (Barclay Arrival+ WEMC) and it is showing 730.  Under factor affecting my score it says this:

2.  Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high  Hide details

Consumers who use a high percentage of their available credit (generally known as utilization) have a higher risk of delinquency (falling behind on payments) and charge-          off (loan default) over time. Lower use of available credit allows consumers who have the need to temporarily carry higher loan balances to do so, because they have available credit on their accounts. Consumers with heavier credit usage cannot absorb changes to their financial situation as easily, which can lead to higher risk over time. Keeping credit balances lower in relation to available credit will help reduce the negative impact on a credit score over time.

My credit card utilization is around 5% ($750 on one card with limit of $7000 on total available credit of $13500 over 5 cards) so it would seem odd that this would be negatively impacting my score.  Unless the fact that the one card with a balance is a little over 10% is a negative impact. My question is with the wording "loan balances to loan amounts is too high"...does this mean installment account utilization plays a factor in my score because I do have a very new mortgage and car loan that would be showing 90+% of the original loan amount.  Hopefully I was able to articulate my question in a way that you can understand. I appreciate any help.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: Utilization question

That means your installment loan to your income is high, debt income ratio.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 2 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes this reason has to do with installment loan balances being to high. I would disregard it I got that all the way down to 1 payment being owed on a personal loan and when that payment was made and the loan closed it switched to no recent installment loan info....

Message 3 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

+1 Mortgage is the trigger. Not to worry.

OP these FICO scores and Reasons Letters you will get from CCC seem to have a requirement to select something, anything, from the list of "reasons your credit is not perfect". So you will always get reasons. Sometimes they make sense, sometimes they are just head scratchers.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tonyjones wrote:

That means your installment loan to your income is high, debt income ratio.

It has nothing to do with DTI. It is the proportion of remaining balance owed to the original loan amount.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.