cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utilization went down, and so did score, random glitch maybe?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Utilization went down, and so did score, random glitch maybe?

Recent Transunion report shows I paid my AMEX bill like normal and my credit unitlization dropped from 31% to 26% causing my scores on both Experian and Transunion to drop by roughly 70 points. Its a regualr Amex Charge card PIF every month. Any idea why lowering the utilization would also cause the scores to decrease? Whats alos funny is my wife is an autorized user on the account and when her scores updated they went up by an average of 45 points.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Utilization went down, and so did score, random glitch maybe?

@Anonymous wrote:

Recent Transunion report shows I paid my AMEX bill like normal and my credit unitlization dropped from 31% to 26% causing my scores on both Experian and Transunion to drop by roughly 70 points. Its a regualr Amex Charge card PIF every month. Any idea why lowering the utilization would also cause the scores to decrease? Whats alos funny is my wife is an autorized user on the account and when her scores updated they went up by an average of 45 points.

The lower utilization didn't cause your scores to drop. 

Your payment likely triggered an alert; when an alert is issued they show you your current score.

Something else changed in your profile between alerts that didn't trigger an alert.

To best figure out what that change is/was, you'll need to compare credit reports from before the change and after the change.

A 70 point drop sounds like a collection or charge-off recently updated.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Where are you getting your EX and TU scores from?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chiefone4u  According to credit karma, nothing else changed. https://imgur.com/fDFjUUy No collections or charge offs, just a couple late payments from 2-4 years ago that have been on the report ever since. I just checked my experian report and it popped back up 35 points, which leads me to believe credit karma is just **bleep**ty with reporting transunion, shocker I know.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir Pulling TU from credit karma and EX form experian.com

Message 5 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir Pulling TU from credit karma and EX form experian.com

Ignore the TU score from Credit Karma; CK uses Vantage 3.0 which no banks really use. People use them purely for informative purposes like credit pulls, balances reporting, and so on so don't worry too much about that score

The EX score is the accurate one since it's FICO 08 which a lot of the banks do use. I can see from reading the above comment that it corrected itself which is good. Based on what you've posted you crossed the 28.9% utilization threshold which should have given you a slight scoring increase

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote: Ignore the TU score from Credit Karma; CK uses Vantage 3.0 which no banks really use. People use them purely for informative purposes like credit pulls, balances reporting, and so on so don't worry too much about that score 
The EX score is the accurate one since it's FICO 08 which a lot of the banks do use. I can see from reading the above comment that it corrected itself which is good. Based on what you've posted you crossed the 28.9% utilization threshold which should have given you a slight scoring increase

Thanks for the great info! Always heard CK scoring was trash. I have a long road to the 800 club but at least it's going in the right direction.

Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Transunion report doesn't show FICO scores, unless it's a report from MyFICO.

2. Dropping utilization from 31% to 26% would NEVER cause a score drop in any FICO scoring model, and in most if not all scoring models would cause a score INCREASE.

3. An Amex charge card is not factored into FICO utilization at all, except to a limited extent on some of the older scoring models.

So you need to first be sure you're talking about an actual score drop in a FICO score, and then you need to find out what really caused the score drop, because it certainly was not the drop in utilization.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.