cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I expect score wise if multiple cards report on a young file?

tag
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

What can I expect score wise if multiple cards report on a young file?

Hi!  I have posted before and stated that I pay my credit cards off as soon as a charge posts.  I am now sitting on my hands preventing me from doing this, and allowing charges to hit the statement and then pif.  I have eight revolvers, oldest is one year, one month, youngest is two mos., average age is 5 mos.  I also have a mortgage four months old, and a paid off (6 mos) car loan.  No charge offs, no lates, etc., clean file.    My FICO scores are EQ 750, TU 740 and EX 731.  I am now gardening for minimum eight mos.

Citi Costco statement 5/10/19.   $133/$5000.

NFCU statement 5/12/19.  $116/$1000

AmEx statement cuts 5/15/19 and it will post $48 in charges ($6000 SL)

Chase Freedom cuts 5/17/19 and will have approx $165 in charges with a $5400 SL

Chase Amazon Prime 5/18/19 and has $119 with a $5400 SL.

Citi has already reported to CRA, and is scheduled to be paid in full tomorrow.

NFCU was pif today, and although it has been reported to the CRA, it hasn’t appeared (visibly) yet on my credit file.  AmEx will be pif the day once I receive my e-statement, and the same with the Chase).

I suspect I’ll lose points, but the question is, approximately how much?  Yes, I micromanage my accounts, and by allowing the charges to hit their respective statements, bothers the hell out of me!  I’m really trying to be more relaxed over this, but I suspect it will take me some time. 😉 

Oh, and also, I don’t plan on requesting any CLI from NFCU, as I don’t want to use a hp for this.  Typically, how long does it take for them to review for an auto cli on new accounts (I’ve had my card since mid January of this year).

Thanks much for the input.

Starting Score: 784
Current Score: 784
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Club Member" border="0" width="50" height="67" align="right">

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

Re: What can I expect score wise if multiple cards report on a young file?

The young files are more susceptible to steep peaks and valleys but one thing that will get you more return is “Number of open accounts vs Number of accounts reporting a balance”

You have a great UTI setup but almost all cards are showing a balance reported. In general I’ve noticed when I have half or less reporting a balance (4 in your case), then the impact turns into a positive one. Some folks swear by AZEO (keeping all of them at zero except for one card) to create the maximum score boost, but I’ve never done it myself.

Let 2 or 3 (or one if you prefer) report and clear the rest. You’ll find general score increases with that — how many points greatly varies by profile (more influenced by total balance vs available credit).

At a glance you’re already under 9% so I wouldn’t expect a huge bump. Search the forum for “Navy AR” and tou’ll Get some good data on your Navy CLI question. In general they tend to be SP CLIs until you get to a request that would push you over $25k, but some never see a HP at all. I’ve taken my Flagship from $15k to $32k without a HP or POI. Since then I’ve managed to get it up to $59k with a HP, but still no POI.

Hope this helps
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually OP is right. NFCU CLIs are HP. You can get lucky around the time of an AR and get one on an SP but that’s only if your internal NFCU score has gone up. 

If you don’t want an HP, freeze your credit reports before asking. They’ll send you a decline if your reports are frozen but you’ll still get the CLI if your score has gone up internally. 

Auto CLIs are somewhat of a unicorn from them so I would freeze the reports and ask and see what happens. If no, try again in 90 days. 

As for score impact, mortgage and auto scores benefit from less than 1/3 of accounts with a balance but FICO 8 and 9 don’t really seem to care as long as you stay under the 8.9% threshold. 

Message 3 of 11
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

I stand corrected — it’s always good to assume a HP on any request, but @Saeren has the right idea about locking your file to avoid the HP altogether.
Message 4 of 11
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:
The young files are more susceptible to steep peaks and valleys but one thing that will get you more return is “Number of open accounts vs Number of accounts reporting a balance”

You have a great UTI setup but almost all cards are showing a balance reported. In general I’ve noticed when I have half or less reporting a balance (4 in your case), then the impact turns into a positive one. Some folks swear by AZEO (keeping all of them at zero except for one card) to create the maximum score boost, but I’ve never done it myself.

Let 2 or 3 (or one if you prefer) report and clear the rest. You’ll find general score increases with that — how many points greatly varies by profile (more influenced by total balance vs available credit).

At a glance you’re already under 9% so I wouldn’t expect a huge bump. Search the forum for “Navy AR” and tou’ll Get some good data on your Navy CLI question. In general they tend to be SP CLIs until you get to a request that would push you over $25k, but some never see a HP at all. I’ve taken my Flagship from $15k to $32k without a HP or POI. Since then I’ve managed to get it up to $59k with a HP, but still no POI.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your response!  This actually gives me a sense of relief, as like I mentioned, I’m having anxiety over this.  So, to clarify, should I pay off both of the Chase cards and not let them hit the statement?  Or, by having the ones already pif (Citi/NFCU and AmEx—as soon as it posts, this will offset the Chase when they report?  Sorry for all of the questions, I want to really understand how this all works since I won’t be doing the AZEO this month.

Again, thank you so very much!!

Message 5 of 11
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually OP is right. NFCU CLIs are HP. You can get lucky around the time of an AR and get one on an SP but that’s only if your internal NFCU score has gone up. 

If you don’t want an HP, freeze your credit reports before asking. They’ll send you a decline if your reports are frozen but you’ll still get the CLI if your score has gone up internally. 

Auto CLIs are somewhat of a unicorn from them so I would freeze the reports and ask and see what happens. If no, try again in 90 days. 

As for score impact, mortgage and auto scores benefit from less than 1/3 of accounts with a balance but FICO 8 and 9 don’t really seem to care as long as you stay under the 8.9% threshold. 

Okay, so I shouldn’t  pay off the Chase cards off before the closing date for the most impact, as the number of accounts reporting won’t make any difference in FICO 8 or 9, am I understanding this correctly?

Re the NFCU auto cli increase, I already have my cr frozen/locked.  I’ll try this method in January (?) since the card will be a year old?

Thanks so much for your help!!  Can’t begin to express how much I appreciate everyone’s expertise in this.

Message 6 of 11
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

To get the ball rolling I would just pay them off before the cycle hits if that’s an available option for you.

But the alternative you mentioned should have equal impact - they’re already paid so as soon as those post to your reports they’ll “offset” the chase ones (if you let those roll into the cycle). As long as you don’t get down to a $0 balance on all your cards you’ll be in a good spot.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well keep in mind that Chase will report again when you pay to $0 so make sure that you have at least one card that isn’t going to hit $0 or you’ll take a score hit. 

That’s why a lot of people around here do AZEO with a non-Chase, non-CU card and pay the rest of their cards off before the statement cuts and the AZEO card under 8.9% (ideally more like 1-2% apparently) because optimum scoring benefits tend to be realized at that point but honestly it’s simply not necessary to manage your cards like this until 60 days before a big app like a car or mortgage.

Just use them and pay your statements and live a less stressful life. Smiley Happy

And I can confirm from playing around with my cards that AZEO got me a whopping 0 point gain on FICO 8. My FICO 9 on EQ is always changing... I don’t know why it swings around so much. 

Message 8 of 11
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

So, Saeren, since I am not doing the AZEO method, will I lose points by having four accounts showing a balance on the statements, or should I go ahead and pay off the Chase cards before the statement (since three will report).  I hope this makes sense.

Message 9 of 11
CAS2019
Frequent Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:
To get the ball rolling I would just pay them off before the cycle hits if that’s an available option for you.

But the alternative you mentioned should have equal impact - they’re already paid so as soon as those post to your reports they’ll “offset” the chase ones (if you let those roll into the cycle). As long as you don’t get down to a $0 balance on all your cards you’ll be in a good spot.

Okay, great, I just paid off the two Chase cards, (although, there is one charge “pending”) and will have two that have already reported, and AmEx that will report (w/balances).  Thanks!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.